Benintendi traded to KC

Sports Guy

I'm not sure where the Red Sox are right now.   Are they rebuilding?   Trying to win this year?   Trying to cut payroll, which I don't recall them ever making a big effort to do before?

They were a last place team last year, behind the Orioles even.   They get Sale and Ed Rod back but both have question marks -- Sale might not be ready to start the season and will be treated very gingerly when he can pitch, and Ed Rod not only had Covid but reportedly had some of those lung complications that a certain percentage of Covid victims get, and some of those issues don't go away.

They have picked up a lot of guys who may be adequate to solid major leaguers but mostly are not needle movers -- Franchy C, Renfroe, Garrett Richards, Andreise, Brice, Ottavino.

Dalbec looks like the only prospect who will be having any kind of impact this year.

I see a team that looks like it is trying to finish over .500.   And not much more.   And we know how futile that can be.   Just not sure I see much direction.

C - Vazquez

IF 1st to 3rd:  Dalbec, Chavis, Bogaerts, Devers

OF -- Renfroe, Verdugo, Cordero

DH -- JD (seems to be in decline)

Rotation -- Sale, Rodriguez, Eovaldi, Perez, Andriese/Pivetta/whatever

Bullpen -- looks decent enough, can never tell with bullpen volatility

Nothing wrong with that team.   If Sale and EdRod are healthy it should be a winning team.  But it sure doesn't jump out at me as a top contender either.   If their goal is to jump the Orioles and finish a bit over .500, mission accomplished.   But I don't see a playoff team, and I don't see a quick plan to being one (sure looks to me like the Orioles will have a better rotation in 2024-25 than Boston based on who is in their majors and minors right now, for example).