The Catching Situation

Legend_Of_Joey

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have no reason to think that ownership has ever entertained the idea of signing Rutschman to a long term deal.

I don't recall them ever extending a player before they hit arbitration.

They haven’t, to my knowledge, unless you want to count Markakis who was signed between his pre-Arb and Arb-1 seasons.    

That said, it seems the sons are now in charge, they have a different GM, and signing pre-Arb guys has become a more common practice, though still the exception and not the rule.    So I wouldn’t say for sure the O’s would never do it.    The deal would have to be very good for them to pull the trigger, I expect.    

I remember I was debating with SG what a “good deal” was if the O’s were to try to sign John Means this last offseason.    My idea of a good deal the O’s might do was a lot cheaper than SG’s idea.    

Does means have one more pre-arb year after this one?

Given that the CBA is going to be redone, I wonder if it would be better to do an extension now or afterwards? I oppose them in general as being too risky, and I’d rather trade guys at peak value anyway.

regarding Means, I would much rather trade him for the moon.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No, Means already has 2.007 years of service going into this season.   Though I’m hoping Elias will send him to the minors for three weeks so I can watch Can_of_corn’s head explode.    

What's an org to do once the young man's innings are used up?    He only threw 43 innings last year, and has never thrown more than 157.   Is Hyde supposed to play a man short once Means makes his 130 IP quota?   That's only 20 starts at the robust 6.5 IP/game he'll surely maintain as an ace!

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

What's an org to do once the young man's innings are used up?    He only threw 43 innings last year, and has never thrown more than 157.   Is Hyde supposed to play a man short once Means makes his 130 IP quota?   That's only 20 starts at the robust 6.5 IP/game he'll surely maintain as an ace!

I’m very curious to see how much teams are going to baby their pitchers this year.   

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just don't get why posters want to kill Sisco for his poor defense and ignore that Severino's defense has been just as poor.

IMO Sisco hasn't been that bad defensively in this young season (albeit in a limited sample). He's looked a lot better blocking balls. In nearly 50 innings he's got 1 PB (2 WP). He's caught all three of the base runners who have attempted to run on him, with at least two of the throws being particularly very well-placed.

3 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

IMO Sisco hasn't been that bad defensively in this young season (albeit in a limited sample). He's looked a lot better blocking balls. In nearly 50 innings he's got 1 PB (2 WP). He's caught all three of the base runners who have attempted to run on him, with at least two of the throws being particularly very well-placed.

By the eye test, Sisco has looked much better than Severino this year, imo.

9 hours ago, Pickles said:

None?

You could probably get him up around 220 innings.

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's Means.  I'm expecting some sort of minor injury and some performance issues that would preclude that.  Even so, I don't know of any studies that say going to 220 would be a problem.

Means has never gotten to six innings/start, but if he did he'd need about 37 starts to get to 220 innings.  The last Orioles to make 37 starts in a season were Dennis Martinez and Scott McGregor in 1982.

In '17 Kevin Gausman made it to the lofty heights of 34 starts and logged 186 innings.  The last Orioles to get to 220 were Mussina and Sir Sid in 2000.

• Upvote 1