Bruce Zimmerman 2021

Il BuonO

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Interesting.  I know the splits have been larger in the past but perhaps with the advent of so many Ks, the gap has narrowed.

I took at quick look at 2011 — using Fangraphs’ methodology the SwStr% was 8.3% for starters and 9.7% for relievers, compared to this year’s 11.4%/11.9%.    So yes the gap between starters and relievers has closed a lot, and in general the SwStr% is way up in both categories but more so for starters.   In part that’s probably a function of starters throwing fewer innings.

Overall, there are way too many strikeouts in today’s game for my taste.   

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I took at quick look at 2011 — using Fangraphs’ methodology the SwStr% was 8.3% for starters and 9.7% for relievers, compared to this year’s 11.4%/11.9%.    So yes the gap between starters and relievers has closed a lot, and in general the SwStr% is way up in both categories but more so for starters.   In part that’s probably a function of starters throwing fewer innings.

Overall, there are way too many strikeouts in today’s game for my taste.   

Good point about the fewer innings as well.  Guys are likely able to “go all out” more in 4-5 inning stretches than 6-7 inning stretches.

5 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I guess. He also had some very loud outs. it could have still been 6-7 runs last night, even with the number of bats that he missed. It seemed like mostly good luck that he only allowed four runs.

o

There were some screaming liners that were hit ......

o

We need more info on Zimmerman but what I see so far looking at Fangraphs and Baseball Savant is this:

1.  You have a SP with a very bad fastball that is both slow and doesn't really break but that he has to throw.

2.  In what I think is an attempt to utilize the highball strategy that TB used to get more out some of their pitchers Zimmerman has primarily been locating his FB up and away which is intended to get flyballs from hitters trying to lift the ball.

3.  He is not hitting his spots far enough up or throwing fast enough.  What should temper hitters from attacking these FBs is a change and curve that display fantastic spin rates but comparatively poor movement. The change isn't working but The curve has a near 50% whiff rate.  Thats good and something to build on.

4. Consequently hitters approaches seem to be, "If its high and outside swing hard.  Occasionally this works, Zimmermans best quality this year is an above average whiff rate on that curve and an okay slider.  Most of the time it doesn't.  Hitters have been barreling the ball more and hitting the ball at a higher launch angle.  The result...very high HR/FB rate.

It will be interesting to see what alterations in approach the Orioles have Zimmerman make.  I think if their belief is he is not executing then he will be sent down but they have an opportunity to build on what working and hope for some regression in his barrel and HR rates.

• Upvote 2

o

Zimmermann will try to lead his Orioles to a sweep of the (previously) red-hot Athletics ......

OAKLAND A THLETICS ))))) (MAY 2nd)

Mark Canha - LF 

Ramon Laureano - CF

Sean Murphy - C 

Matthew Olson - 1B 

Matthew Chapman - 3B 

Jed Lowrie - 2B 

Mitchell Moreland - DH

Stephen Piscotty - RF 

Elvis Augusto Andrus Torres - SS

Sean Anthony Manaea - LHP )) (3-1, 2.83 ERA) ) *

* )) Leads the Major Leagues in both Complete Games (1) and CH-Shutouts (1)

https://www.baseballpress.com/Lineups

o

The defense didn’t help him ump missed a pitch or two in the first that could have gotten him out of the first and his fastball command was a struggle. However he battled through to give the team a chance to win before leaving.  Plutko helped him out in 5th to get out of that inning as well.

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hopefully Zimmerman is able to tread water enough as a starter that it doesn't damage his psyche for when he is converted to a bullpen pitcher. 

Hopefully any one or two of the young pitchers can eventually handle being a starter. None of them have been impressive so far. Still better than watching guys that are nearing the end of their careers.

On 5/2/2021 at 8:19 PM, LocoChris said:

I don’t think Zimm would be good out of the ‘pen. He doesn’t throw hard enough. 

Most pitchers pick up some velocity in the move and that could help Zimmerman.  With his whiff rate and a decreased need to show hitters different things (in the pen you only see them once) he could be a solid middle innings guy.  He has a very good curve and an okay slider and with more experience he could eventually make his way back to the rotation when he understands how to get out MLB batters in more ways.

My guess is the Orioles have some ideas for him to work on getting that fastball into better locations.

• 4 weeks later...