Bruce Zimmerman 2021

Il BuonO

4 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Zimmermann reminds me of Dallas Keuchel. Hopefully he, Zac Lowther, and Kevin Smith can be fringe #5/depth options for this team over the next few years.

Keuchel gets a ton of ground balls and is one of the best GB pitchers in recent memory.  Zimmerman isn’t that.

Zimmerman is bottom 15th percentile in xavg, xobp, xslg, barrel% and K% with a below average fastball but above average movement.  He is slightly above average in whiff% and chase rate.

His success is directly tied to his ability to locate the ball.  Early in the season he was catching too much of the plate and getting hit hard.  Of late he has been locating his fastball high and catching corners with his breaking stuff.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Anyone know how he did at Aberdeen?

I was there. It’s hard for me to tell how he looked without the zoomed in camera from centerfield that we see on TV. There was a lot of hard hit contact. He was pretty lucky to get out of 3 innings with only 1 earned run, although the error that led to an unearned run was his own, on a pickoff attempt. I never take the rehab outings’ results too seriously unless there’s like obviously a command/velocity problem due to a lagging injury. 

Edited by Matt Bennett
  • Thanks 1