Keegan Akin 2021

Il BuonO

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes he should be starting.  He threw a lot of pitches to get through 3 innings though.

But he threw strikes at a solid rate and missed a lot of bats yesterday.  I will say that the inning where he gave up a few runs, the Rays hitters were hitting a lot of balls that were just well placed.  Not necessarily hitting him hard but just balls that were in the right place at the right time type thing.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Didn’t see him today. Does he merit a start?

Not if you the your starter to go 5 innings.   Akin threw 76 pitches to get through 3 innings yesterday.  25 pitches an inning does not a starter make.

On 5/21/2021 at 7:11 AM, wildcard said:

Not if you the your starter to go 5 innings.   Akin threw 76 pitches to get through 3 innings yesterday.  25 pitches an inning does not a starter make.

Ah, yes. Because established pitchers never have high pitch counts.

Well, you nailed it.

Akin went 4.2 of one run ball. The problem is that it took him 94 pitches. He walked 2 and had 4 strikeouts. The only run he surrendered was a HR by Hamilton. I think he is "looking" better but is still working out alot of stuff. Keep putting him out there every 5th day.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Akin went 4.2 of one run ball. The problem is that it took him 94 pitches. He walked 2 and had 4 strikeouts. The only run he surrendered was a HR by Hamilton. I think he is "looking" better but is still working out alot of stuff. Keep putting him out there every 5th day.

At least he threw more strikes.  He threw 63.8% of his pitches for strikes, which is basically league average.  

His swingstr% was also over 20%.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I was less than impressed with his coverage of first base on the grounder in the whole. He certainly could stand to learn some things if he were to be optioned at some point.

Seems like someone with the Orioles could help him brush up on that. I hope he's ready to stick with the Orioles and can be a starter through the rest of the season. Whether he can stay there when the cavalry arrives is another matter, but unlike Lowther and some others, he's probably had enough time in AAA.