Keegan Akin 2021

Il BuonO

44 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Seems like someone with the Orioles could help him brush up on that. I hope he's ready to stick with the Orioles and can be a starter through the rest of the season. Whether he can stay there when the cavalry arrives is another matter, but unlike Lowther and some others, he's probably had enough time in AAA.

Fair enough. He probably deserves to stick but my expectations are low. Nothing I have seen in his MLB experience or minors stats makes me think he is going to be a good pitcher.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

65 pitches after three, but only 86 after five so must’ve improved something.

I thought that was a great sign for him - getting more economical when he had to.  He's a relatively durable pitcher - though he probably could afford to lose a few lbs.  This was a very good day for Akin.  

I feel like Akin is rounding into form.   Looking at his season so far, he’s only walked 4 batters in 20 innings and is throwing 69% strikes.   I think if he can keep the walks down and avoid pitching behind in the count too much, he’ll have a successful season.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I feel like Akin is rounding into form.   Looking at his season so far, he’s only walked 4 batters in 20 innings and is throwing 69% strikes.   I think if he can keep the walks down and avoid pitching behind in the count too much, he’ll have a successful season.   

Pun intended.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Nice 

11 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Akin tonight:

5ip

3 hits 

0 runs

1 walk

4 K's

86 pitches 

3.60 ERA for the season

Couldn't watch the game. How did he actually "look"?

He got away with several pitches in the second inning, as he missed his spot badly with some center cut fastballs and hanging change-ups.  Most nights that type of pitch execution results in crooked numbers on the score board.  However, he looked really sharp otherwise.  His slider was a real weapon.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

He got away with several pitches in the second inning, as he missed his spot badly with some center cut fastballs and hanging change-ups.  Most nights that type of pitch execution results in crooked numbers on the score board.  However, he looked really sharp otherwise.  His slider was a real weapon.

It's not surprising that the Tribe failed to take advantage of some mistakes since their offense is very weak -- near the bottom of the AL in almost every offensive category, and no better per the eye test in the parts of four or five games I've seen them play this year.

3 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

I thought he threw a bit harder than what I saw last night...90-91 occasionally hitting 92. Am I right or wrong? 

Akin might have to take some off to control his fastball. If thats what makes him more successful its not a bad idea.