Keegan Akin 2021

Il BuonO

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’ll never forget a story that ran on SC years ago about “fat” pitchers.  One guy they highlighted was Jon Lieber.  He talked about how the extra weight actually helped him during the season, especially late in the season. That you tend to lose weight as the year goes on and having the extra LBs can be beneficial.

A guy like Sabathia never really had issues.  

I personally think it’s one of those things that fans will point to as a scapegoat but they really have no idea what they are talking.

Now, the other side to that is what RZ just mentioned and that is strength in the legs.  That needs to be there.  I can’t imagine that Akin was with the team for most of the year and the trainer wasn’t working with him.  Otoh, maybe he was lazy in the offseason and it took a few months to get him up to speed and now, we are seeing the improvement because of that.

End of the day, these guys should be in good shape but being a husky guy in the mound doesn’t mean much.  You can still be a good pitcher and have that extra weight.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27314802/knee-pain-always-least-8-10

Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia, on the injured list for the third time this season, says the pain in his surgically repaired right knee has been constant for five years.

"It's always the same. If I had to scale it on a scale of one to 10, it's always an eight and when it's bad it's 10," he said Saturday.

I know I feel less strain on my knees than I did 80 pounds ago.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you actually suggesting that his weight didn't have an impact on his history of knee injuries?

The man used to eat Captain Crunch by the box.

Who knows.  Considering I’m not his doctor or him, I wouldn’t know.

I think it’s foolish to assume anything without knowing all the facts.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Good thing I didn't say anything like that.

No but you quoted something referencing his consistent pain.

I don’t think his weight had much to do with it.  Not saying it helped but doubt it hurt him that much.  Once you injure your knees, especially when you are putting the stress on them The way athletes do, they don’t get “good” again.