Keegan Akin 2021

Il BuonO

On 8/27/2021 at 8:53 AM, bobmc said:

Say what?  Pretty positive review from MM!  Pitching from the stretch, commanding the FB and armed (pun intended) with a devastating CH.  

What's not to love?  ?

I sometimes can't tell the difference between his changeup and a slider.  There's so much break down on his changeup that he threw a few of them in the dirt last night.    

I like that he's no longer needing every fastball to be right on the corners and therefore falling behind in counts.  He seems to be more comfortable throwing in the strike zone to get ahead in the count - and is then less stressed because he's pitching ahead.  

One game at a time - if he finishes the season strong, it makes a huge difference for how he's viewed going forward.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Poor conditioning can absolutely contribute to eroding mechanics / fundamentals / attention / concentration in a game situation as you tire, in almost any sport.

I'm sure it can.

Is that what you are suggesting happened in this case?

I don't see it as I don't recall his command deteriorating during games. 

I think they are separate issues that he needs to address.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure it can.

Is that what you are suggesting happened in this case?

I don't see it as I don't recall his command deteriorating during games. 

I think they are separate issues that he needs to address.

I don't know what his issue was. I just don't think it's a wild suggestion that seemingly poor conditioning may have contributed to it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I don't know what his issue was. I just don't think it's a wild suggestion that seemingly poor conditioning may have contributed to it.

I agree it's not a wild suggestion.

Not much of an excuse these days for guys to not be in top shape from day 1.  Not like he's bagging groceries in the offseason.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I refuse to get my hopes up.  

That said, it's good to see that he's had some success lately. 

Yeah, there's no getting around the fact that his ERA was 8.23 4 starts ago.  The fact that he's lowered it to 6.90 isn't really impressive by itself - but the fact that he's done it against all good teams gives him a chance.  How he finishes the season will be the proof in the pudding.    

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ruzious said:

Yeah, there's no getting around the fact that his ERA was 8.23 4 starts ago.  The fact that he's lowered it to 6.90 isn't really impressive by itself - but the fact that he's done it against all good teams gives him a chance.  How he finishes the season will be the proof in the pudding.    

His FIP is 5.07.  Which isn't great at all, but significantly better than what his real ERA is.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

A good finish would be nice but he certainly can't be counted on next spring.  The mindset needs to be that he has to fight for a job next spring.  

I certainly agree with this.   But, a strong finish at least makes him a viable candidate.  

I figure Akin has 6 starts left, and if he can average 5.5 innings per start at an ERA under 3.90 the rest of the way, that would get his season ERA under 6.00.   That’s about the best case scenario for Akin.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

A good finish would be nice but he certainly can't be counted on next spring.  The mindset needs to be that he has to fight for a job next spring.  

Yeah. With some of these guys it's like, you have to START the year with the mindset that you found at the end of this season. I'm glad he's maybe figured some stuff out, but he has to show up ready to attack hitters from the jump next year. Same with Kremer. If Kremer gets the call and does well in September, that doesn't tell me much. 

• Upvote 1