Keegan Akin 2021

Il BuonO

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wells has 56 innings this year.

He has 56 total innings from 2019-2021.

I'm not at all sure he's being viewed as a starting pitcher candidate in 2022.

There  are probably going to be starter innings that come from other starters not mentioned above.  Like Grayson and Baumann.   If they start Lowther, Smith, Bradish, Kremer, A Wells at AAA and DL Hall at AA I would hope  at least one or more of the them progresses enough to provide starter innings in the majors next year.

Tyler Wells has been a starter throughout this minor league career until 2021.   He may show well enough in ST to win a spot in the rotation.   You are right his  inning limits may not keep him there all season.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm still skeptical.  A few nice starts doesn't do anything for me.

I'm still skeptical but a few good starts does something for me.   It tells me not to close the book on him yet.   He still looks like he tires way too soon and starts losing command by the 5th inning.     When he locates, he looks like a ML starter but I'm skeptical that he can do that consistently.   Some well placed sliders and changeups and I wish he could bottle the up and in fastball on the inside corner to RH hitters.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm still skeptical but a few good starts does something for me.   It tells me not to close the book on him yet.   He still looks like he tires way too soon and starts losing command by the 5th inning.     When he locates, he looks like a ML starter but I'm skeptical that he can do that consistently.   Some well placed sliders and changeups and I wish he could bottle the up and in fastball on the inside corner to RH hitters.

I'm wondering if he lost weight if it'd help.  I'm aware that not every pitcher has to be in amazing shape to pitch well. 

But it couldn't hurt Akin to drop some weight, especially if he's tiring too soon.  

You're right, don't close the book on him yet, I agree...I guess that's all it does for me.  

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Has there been discussion about him losing some weight. That might improve his stamina -- or might make it worse, I guess. It seems to me that it's worth considering.

I have the same question about Stewart -- different bod type and situation from Akin's, but I wonder if the loss of some weight would help him even if it reduced his power a bit.

Losing weight might help but it certainly didn't hurt Mickey Lolich and Rick Reuschel.    It is possible that either his arm just gets tired easily or that maybe his legs are not in the best of shape.   He should dedicate himself to being in the best shape possible.  No doubt about that.

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Losing weight might help but it certainly didn't hurt Mickey Lolich and Rick Reuschel.    It is possible that either his arm just gets tired easily or that maybe his legs are not in the best of shape.   He should dedicate himself to being in the best shape possible.  No doubt about that.

Bartolo Colon.  Fernando Valenzuela.  There have always been examples of overweight pitchers who nevertheless had good stamina on the mound.  But, in the vast majority of cases, it helps to be in good shape.   

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bartolo Colon.  Fernando Valenzuela.  There have always been examples of overweight pitchers who nevertheless had good stamina on the mound.  But, in the vast majority of cases, it helps to be in good shape.   

I’ll never forget a story that ran on SC years ago about “fat” pitchers.  One guy they highlighted was Jon Lieber.  He talked about how the extra weight actually helped him during the season, especially late in the season. That you tend to lose weight as the year goes on and having the extra LBs can be beneficial.

A guy like Sabathia never really had issues.  

I personally think it’s one of those things that fans will point to as a scapegoat but they really have no idea what they are talking.

Now, the other side to that is what RZ just mentioned and that is strength in the legs.  That needs to be there.  I can’t imagine that Akin was with the team for most of the year and the trainer wasn’t working with him.  Otoh, maybe he was lazy in the offseason and it took a few months to get him up to speed and now, we are seeing the improvement because of that.

End of the day, these guys should be in good shape but being a husky guy in the mound doesn’t mean much.  You can still be a good pitcher and have that extra weight.