The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

8 minutes ago, theobird said:

Baker only threw 4 pitches in the 8th. I would have sent him out there for the ninth. Not one to pick on Hyde, but I thought it was strange to trot Bazardo out there for the ninth. But….We got away with it

I would rather have Baker available for tomorrow then have him pitch a 9th inning up 5.   It shouldn’t matter who he brought in the 9th as anyone out there should be able to get 3 outs before giving up 5 runs.  When your mop up guys can’t even do that you need to get some more guys then can.  The biggest problem people have had with Hyde is he uses his top guys a lot but that is because his other guys have been so terrible.  

4 hours ago, dystopia said:

Apparently Soler was out of the game and it would have been their light hitting catcher, so that means you leave Coulombe in and the move is even more indefensible.

Their light hitting catcher has a .994 OPS vs LHP for his career. That's actually higher than Arraez. Faced with two bad matchups, go with the one that doesn't burn an extra pitcher and also put the go ahead run on first.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Their light hitting catcher has a .994 OPS vs LHP for his career. That's actually higher than Arraez. Faced with two bad matchups, go with the one that doesn't burn an extra pitcher and also put the go ahead run on first.

So change pitchers…

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That doesn't solve the problem of the extra guy on base, Hyde was trying to conserve pitchers, and did we even have anyone warming up? They might also have an emergency C on their roster that we don't know about?

IMO, Arraez is the last person in the entire league I want up there with the tying run on second in the 9th inning. I don’t mind taking the risk of putting the go-ahead run  on first to face someone who has a far less chance of getting a hit. 

15 minutes ago, dystopia said:

IMO, Arraez is the last person in the entire league I want up there with the tying run on second in the 9th inning. I don’t mind taking the risk of putting the go-ahead run  on first to face someone who has a far less chance of getting a hit. 

Fair enough. I was somewhat surprised by the call myself. Just saying it was not a no brainer/indefensible/fireable offense etc. Especially since it worked.

11 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

I said to myself at the time, man if Coulombe doesn't get an out here, OH will explode. It worked out - fun fact - same number of pages second guessing Hyde as debating Frazier. OH Rocks!!!! Let's Beat The Dodgers!!!!!

Just wait until Frazier is our DH tonight

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

Is there ever a situation where you bring in Cano to get get you out of the 6th? If so, was that one?

They need a "stopper"

Not that Hyde would use a stopper correctly anyway, especially since they don't let guys pitch 3 days in a row

I actually thought Baker threw the ball well.  He had Hayward 0-2 and threw 4 pitchers pitches and Heyward spit on all 4 of them.   He gets ahead of Taylor and never really got another fastball above the zone for rp the chase.     I’m going to give the Dodger hitters, especially, Heyward the credit.   Would have loved to see GRod get through the 6th.    Hicks should have had Freeman’s ball but it’s partly GRods fault for such a hittable pitch.    Win some.  Lose some.

• Upvote 1