Losing Loewen?

tywright

Irregardless of whether Adam makes it as hitter, there will be subtle repercussions for this move by the Toronto organization.

Burnett will be an Oriole now, I'm sure of it, as will Greg Zaun. I bet we'll make sure we make other moves to bury Toronto in the cellar...

Burnett, Zaun and Teixeira will be Orioles this offseason...

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The FO was under the impresssion a deal was near complete with Loewen. In fact they thought it may even be wrapped up today. To say they were blind sided is a understatement.

Why does this sort of thing seem so expected to be comical? Are they aware that problems with negotiating contracts happen with surprising regularity?

Why does this sort of thing seem so expected to be comical? Are they aware that problems with negotiating contracts happen with surprising regularity?

There was pretty much an understanding between the two parties before he was placed on waivers.

Just to reiterate what SOME other posters have said... the Oriole organization did nothing wrong here. There was no mis-management. There was no way around making Loewen available.

If you believe that the Orioles should have kept Loewen on the roster, then you can support the Orioles snagging Loewen up in the Rule five draft. He'll also be a free agent again next year. Heck, if he's unprotected on a double-A or Triple-A roster next year, he'll be available in the minor league portion of the Rule five draft...

In other words, if you're putting two and two together, it would've been very difficult to keep him in the organization unless he sky-rocketed through the organization and forced their hand in protecting him on the 40-man. But you're not going to do that for a guy who will start at Low-A or High-A just because his name is Adam Loewen.

I wish him luck, and I wish he was still an Oriole. But I'll be rooting against him because he's a Blue Jay, not because of anything that anyone did wrong.

All that said, I do withhold judgement until I read more on how it went down.

I can understand Loewen wanting to play for his favorite team and part of me is glad he did this now instead of waiting for us to develop him and then jump ship...ie use up more resources and time.

That being said, this is pretty messed up on his part and I have definitely lost a lot of respect for him...I was a big Loewen backer and now, i can honestly say I hope he fails(and this coming from one of the few people on here who felt he had a chance at making it as a hitter).

Archived