Loewen speaks to Roch

Frobby

"I looked at their organization and where I felt that I fit in, and I saw a chance in the next few years to crack the starting lineup," he said. "That's essentially my goal. I had to look at that. And I can't explain how difficult a dec this was. It really tore me apart. It's been my dream to play for the Blue Jays. Obviously, you can't say that when you play in Baltimore.

"I really cherish the time I spent in Baltimore. Everybody up and down the organization really treated me well. It's bitter sweet for me, but I do have to move forward and look at my future and where I saw myself fitting in.

"They were really excited about the chance of getting me and told me where they saw me fitting in. They saw me having 1,000 at-bats before I would be major league ready and I think they were leaning toward taking me as a hitter in the draft when I was coming out of high scfhoo. I think that played a lot into it, and obviously the fact that I'm Canadien. But I can't stress enough how difficult this was. I know I let a lot of people down. But I had to do what I felt was best for me."

http://masnsports.com/2008/10/another-prediction.html

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Screw him! Had to do what was best for "him?" How about the fact that we gave him a Major League contract as a draft signing, and the fact that he has been pitching on the ML team for us BECAUSE of that and NOT because he was ready to be a major leaguer? I am happy for him that he thinks he is going to reach his dream, but I hope to God that he never makes it out of A Ball.

One silver lining here, and even in this I am reading between the lines, but he sees a chance to start in Toronto that he doesn't see here. Hmmm....what first baseman do we have in our system that would block him? Oh right. None. So maybe he knows something we don't? Maybe MacPhail said, "Hey pal, Big Tex has got first base covered for us for the next 8 years, so why don't you take a chance in Toronto?" Or maybe MacPhail said, "You know Millar is Trembley's boy, and he's got first base covered for us for the next 8 years, so why don't you take a chance in Toronto?" :scratchchinhmm:

Screw him! Had to do what was best for "him?" How about the fact that we gave him a Major League contract as a draft signing, and the fact that he has been pitching on the ML team for us BECAUSE of that and NOT because he was ready to be a major leaguer? I am happy for him that he thinks he is going to reach his dream, but I hope to God that he never makes it out of A Ball.

One silver lining here, and even in this I am reading between the lines, but he sees a chance to start in Toronto that he doesn't see here. Hmmm....what first baseman do we have in our system that would block him? Oh right. None. So maybe he knows something we don't? Maybe MacPhail said, "Hey pal, Big Tex has got first base covered for us for the next 8 years, so why don't you take a chance in Toronto?" Or maybe MacPhail said, "You know Millar is Trembley's boy, and he's got first base covered for us for the next 8 years, so why don't you take a chance in Toronto?" :scratchchinhmm:

That is awesome!!!

Seriously, good riddance Adam. You are easily dead to me. I will never wear the jersey I have of you again and this is much much worse than what Mussina did or any Oriole I can think of. Nice "gentleman's agreement" you had. I hope you never see another professional inning.

Screw him! Had to do what was best for "him?" How about the fact that we gave him a Major League contract as a draft signing, and the fact that he has been pitching on the ML team for us BECAUSE of that and NOT because he was ready to be a major leaguer? :

Two observations:

1. We gave Loewen a major league contract because that's what it took to sign him. We could have elected to pay him a bigger bonus, but to avoid that we offered a major league contract as an inducement. That was a business decision, not some favor we did for Loewen. We did that because we thought that was best for the team under the circumstances.

2. Loewen was pitching on the ML team because he was the most major league-ready pitcher we had. In case you've forgotten, Loewen did not need to be on the ML roster until Opening Day 2007. However, in May 2006, when Hayden Penn went down with appendicitis on the eve of his call-up, Loewen was the next-best option we had. This had nothing to do with his contract, and everything to do with how he was performing at the time. And he definitely pitched well enough in 2006 to earn a shot at the rotation for 2007, and then he pitched well enough in spring training 2007 to deserve to be in the rotation on Opening Day. He earned his way to the major leagues, and in my opinion he would have been outstanding for us in 2007 if he hadn't gotten hurt.

I'm still stung by his decision, but these points do not hold water.

I really just don't know.:confused:

Screw him.:(

Can someone please just make everything ok. I would really like someone to tell us (me) everything is ok, we will get better. With all this negative news happening all at once it's just really disheartening.

Loewen is lame

Archived