April 20 at Miami

SteveA

First of a brief two game series.

Gametime forecast 82 and sunny.   I would expect the retractable roof to be open.

A battle of righthanders:   Matt Harvey vs Nick Neidert

Orioles Roster Move
Austin Hays activated from the IL.   Ryan McKenna optioned to the alternate site in Bowie.

Lineups

-- National League Game -- NO DH

1. Cedric Mullins (L) CF
2. Anthony Santander (S) RF
3. DJ Stewart (L) LF
4. Trey Mancini (R) 1B
5. Maikel Franco (R) 3B
6. Rio Ruiz (L) 2B
7. Freddy Galvis (S) SS
8. Chance Sisco (L) C
9. Matt Harvey (R) P

1. Corey Dickerson (L) LF
2. Miguel Rojas (R) SS
3. Jesus Aguilar (R) 1B
4. Adam Duvall (R) RF
5. Brian Anderson (R) 3B
6. Jazz Chisholm Jr. (L) 2B
7. Jorge Alfaro (R) C
8. Lewis Brinson (R) CF
9. Nick Neidert (R) P

Orioles Bench
Austin Hays (R)
Ryan Mountcastle (R)
Pedro Severino (R)
Ramon Urias (R)

Orioles Bullpen (last pitched)
   Available:
       Shawn Armstrong (1.0 IP, 9p Saturday)
       Paul Fry* (1.0 IP, 11p Sunday, 1.2 IP, 20p Friday)
       Wade LeBlanc (1.1 IP,  24p Saturday)
       Adam Plutko* (0.1 IP, 9p Sunday; 1.0 IP, 10p Friday)
       Tanner Scott* (1.0 IP, 20p Saturday)
       Cole Sulser (1.0 IP, 22p Thursday)
       Dillon Tate (0.1 IP, 8p Friday)
       Cesar Valdez (0.2 IP, 9p Sunday; 1.0 IP, 20p Friday)
       Tyler Wells (2.1 IP, 24p Saturday Apr 11)

Maybe Available:
        Travis Lakins (0.2 IP, 23p Sunday; 1.0 IP, 14p Saturday)

*Lefthanded pitchers noted with asterisk.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

The Orioles will be facing the team against which, historically, they have had the least success.

All-time, the Orioles are 8-26 against the Florida/Miami Marlins for a winning percentage of .235, their lowest against any opponent.  The next lowest percentage is .250 against the Cubs, whom they have played only 12 times, going 3-9.

The Orioles have faced the Marlins in eleven different seasons, winning the season's series only once.  That was all the way back in 2000, when they won two out of three.

If the Orioles manage to split this two-game series, their winning percentage against the Marlins will go up to .250, the same as their percentage against the Cubs.

Not much of a goal, but it's hard to set the bar much higher right now.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, scOtt said:

My God !!! On review ...... so fairly recent. IT TOOK HIM THAT LONG ???

Palmer hit one his very first year in 1965, in only 27 PA's !!! ?

o

Scott, calm down. Palmer went on to hit 2 more home runs in his career, entailing 537 Plate Appearances. And his career batting average was .174. It's not that big of a deal, or that much of a discrepancy. They were both pitchers, and they both sucked at batting for themselves. Palmer sucked a little less than Harvey sucked, but it's hardly cause for alarm and/or bragging rights.

o

Just now, OFFNY said:

o

Scott, calm down. Palmer went on to hit 2 more home runs in his career, entailing 537 Plate Appearances. And his career batting average was .174. It's not that big of a deal, or that much of a discrepancy. They were both pitchers, and they both sucked at batting for themselves. Palmer sucked a little less than Harvey sucked, but it's hardly cause for alarm and/or bragging rights.

o

Yeah I know, just joking. Just seems a pitcher would run into a FB before ...8 years? Into their career. ?

15 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Yeah I know, just joking. Just seems a pitcher would run into a FB before ...... 8 years ??? Into their career.

?

o

Another factor in regard comparing the batting of pitchers way back to pitchers today is that when Palmer was coming up, all pitchers hit for themselves, from Little League to the Major Leagues, and everywhere in between. Now, it's the complete opposite ...... today, High School Varsity pitchers don't even hit for themselves. Today, with the exception of the National League, there is a DH for High School Varsity pitchers, Junior College pitchers, College pitchers, and all Minor League pitchers from the Rookie Leagues all the way up to AAA. The last time that Harvey batted for himself before he made it to the Majors was in Junior League, when he was 13 years-old.

o

• Thanks 1

I’ve always thought the Marlins were baseballs silliest team. I have to be careful describing the uniforms, but they always look like..umm.. the “happiest” uniforms someone could design. Something Alexander McQueen tossed off in a careless moment. The FLORIDA Marlins were a bit less silly, but Miami went for all the marbles.

So we sweep, no?

And yes, I am politely ignoring what @WillyM has so kindly shared...(hands over ears, screaming”LaLaLaI can’t hear you !)

Just now, Philip said:

I’ve always thought the Marlins were baseballs silliest team. I have to be careful describing the uniforms, but they always look like..umm.. the “happiest” uniforms someone could design. Something Alexander McQueen tossed off in a careless moment. The FLORIDA Marlins were a bit less silly, but Miami went for all the marbles.

So we sweep, no?

And yes, I am politely ignoring what @WillyM has so kindly shared...(hands over ears, screaming”LaLaLaI can’t hear you !)

The two championships and the two MASSIVE selloffs afterwards make them a joke by itself I think.

Hard to keep the superstars healthy.

-- Acuna day to day with an abdominal strain, not in the lineup tonight
   -- Betts hit by pitch last night, MRI negative, but didn't play today, day to day
   -- Nats just put Juan Soto on the IL with a left shoulder strain
   -- Padres just went a week+ without Tatis.

Just now, SteveA said:

Hard to keep the superstars healthy.

-- Acuna day to day with an abdominal strain, not in the lineup tonight
   -- Betts hit by pitch last night, MRI negative, but didn't play today, day to day
   -- Nats just put Juan Soto on the IL with a left shoulder strain
   -- Padres just went a week+ without Tatis.

Getting ours back... *knockswood*