LeBlanc to be DFA’ed, Lowther up

Legend_Of_Joey

Just now, SteveA said:

We've BEEN getting rid of the retreads, this isn't the beginning.   Last year we had Tommy Milone, Eshelman, etc.   Before that Straily, Wright, Wilson, etc.    Mountcastle, Hays, Akin, Zimmerman, Kremer, now Lowther have joined the club in the past year.

But Elias acquired a bunch more retreads for this years' team.

5 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Not a fan of sticking him in the bullpen. Would rather see him in the rotation

Akin made 3 relief appearances, then 5 starts, last year.

Zimmermann pitched in relief once in September too.

Kremer has been exclusively a starter.

Guess it is based on circumstances.   I think Lowther will get some shots out of the pen and then will be first option to replace someone who gets hurt or performs really badly in the rotation.

20 minutes ago, SteveA said:

We've BEEN getting rid of the retreads, this isn't the beginning.   Last year we had Tommy Milone, Eshelman, etc.   Before that Straily, Wright, Wilson, etc.    Mountcastle, Hays, Akin, Zimmerman, Kremer, now Lowther have joined the club in the past year.

I’m not talking about former teams.  I’m talking about now.  I don’t need to see garbage, going nowhere players on this team anymore.

2 hours ago, now said:

Interesting twist of fate. Maybe Lowther capitalizes. Maybe Akin doesn't... akin to Harnisch stepping on nail... 

I’m reminded of Hayden Penn getting appendicitis on the day he was scheduled to get called up, and getting hurt slipping on the stairs while carrying groceries another time.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't buy into what?  That the Verducci effect was debunked?

A lot more goes into things than some simplistic innings chart.  The stress of the innings appear to matter more than the number of innings.  Obviously I'm not advocating abusing guys but Lowther shouldn't be under some arbitrary innings cap.

Yes, stress is a big thing. Still, Innings, and pitch count matter. I think anyways.

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m reminded of Hayden Penn getting appendicitis on the day he was scheduled to get called up, and getting hurt slipping on the stairs while carrying groceries another time.   

Lucas Giolito scratched from today's start for the White Sox with a hand injury.  "I was opening a glass water bottle and I thought it was twist-off but it wasn't".

Leblanc could be in limbo for 10 days since he has been DFA'd.  The O's don't have to be put on waivers until the 7th day.    

Let's say the O's rotation during that time evolve to be Means, Zimmermann, Harvey, Kremer and Lowther.   Lopez gets pushed to the pen.  One of the relievers goes on the ILor is optioned.

There is not exactly a bunch of healthy starters at AAA.   Baumann, Alex Well and Akin are all injured last I heard. That leaves Rogers and Eshelman in the Norfolk rotation.   Bet the O's would like to have LeBlanc join them as a starters at AAA if they can talk him into it.   If he passes through waivers I guess that could happen.

I don't see the O's rushing Sceroler back to the majors.  He could rehab for 30 days at AAA.

AAA season starts May 4th.

On 4/25/2021 at 8:05 AM, Ripken said:

In a season where my one and only interest is seeing prospects, Leblanc should never have been signed anyway.  Bye.

I wasn't a huge fan of the signing but I understood why he was kept. His role was to eat innings until the young guys were ready to help eat some innings. apparently Lowther showed he was ready. Add in the fact that LeBlanc's stuff was bad for a AA pitcher, and it was time to make the change. 

19 hours ago, SteveA said:

Akin made 3 relief appearances, then 5 starts, last year.

Zimmermann pitched in relief once in September too.

Kremer has been exclusively a starter.

Guess it is based on circumstances.   I think Lowther will get some shots out of the pen and then will be first option to replace someone who gets hurt or performs really badly in the rotation.

Lowther just pitched on the day that LeBlanc was the starter. In theory, he's aligned to start next Friday in Oakland if they want, but that's a tough lineup to make your debut against having pitched one inning of live baseball in what would be about ten days.