2021 Norfolk Tides roster activity and discussion

Tony-OH

8 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

How does that make him part of the starting rotation?

WC is assuming he will rehab in the rotation. Only way that makes sense to me is if they want him to get a chance to start at MLB level. 

Nice start to the year for Ryan Ripken.   Could there be a September sip for marketing purposes, or even August I guess if Mancini moves?   I'm sure he won't be on offseason Rule 5 40-man, but could imagine the in-season carousel turning his way for a couple weeks.

I stop FAR short of starting a player thread for him though!

On 5/7/2021 at 5:40 PM, Frobby said:

The rotation I was hoping to see: Lowther, Baumann, Wells.

The rotation I’ve actually seen: Greene, Watkins, Rogers.  

At least Akin is going tonight, if they play.  

The Baumann injury hurt and the Orioles look like they plan on running an up/down assembly line between Zimmerman, Lowther and Akin this year. I wonder though, after Akin pitched just two innings in his only "start" of the year at Norfolk then pitch an inning of relief with the Orioles, are the Orioles making that move to the pen for Akin. As most of you know, that's the role I've felt he will eventually settle in with and have his most success.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how they use him and the others.

I'd really like to see Wells have a good start after his first disaster.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched a few games by Eric Hanhold (AAA-Norfolk). He's a big right-handed reliever who throws pretty hard. I could see the O's giving him a look at some point this season. His FB usually sits around 95, dropping to 93 and topping out at 97. It is pretty flat and I could see him giving up a lot of hard hit balls in the majors. He does seem to have decent control of his FB, but he needs it despite the good velocity. I saw him throw a few split-finger fastballs around 91 mph that looked very nice....I think he'd keep hitters a little more honest if he mixed it in more frequently. It's a good pitch. He likes to show a hard slider (85-88 mph) on either side of the plate to get hitters to chase, but that pitch left over the plate is a real grapefruit. 27 years old and has two options left. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...