Franco - stopgap infielder

Explosivo

I know it’s a bit short sample size but the guy is slow, has a shaky glove, and can’t hit consistently. He does have power and a strong arm, but dude is reminiscent of Alberto with a less consistent bat. I know he is a stopgap but I really can’t wait to see guys like Westburg and Gunnar as those dudes are our future infield. Hell, at this point I’d like us to give Bannon a shot at third or Hall. I’m tired of seeing the dude out there.

39 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

I know it’s a bit short sample size but the guy is slow, has a shaky glove, and can’t hit consistently. He does have power and a strong arm, but dude is reminiscent of Alberto with a less consistent bat. I know he is a stopgap but I really can’t wait to see guys like Westburg and Gunnar as those dudes are our future infield. Hell, at this point I’d like us to give Bannon a shot at third or Hall. I’m tired of seeing the dude out there.

Well, you will have to be patient with Westburg and Henderson, since they are both starting the season at Delmarva.   Particularly since this MiL season is a month shorter than usual, it’s pretty unlikely either one gets beyond Aberdeen this year, if they even get that far.   So you’re talking 2023 or 2024 for those guys.  

I do think we’ll see some of Bannon this season unless he fails miserably at Norfolk.   

As to Franco, stopgap is an accurate description.  He can look decent at times, bad at other times.   But overall, he’s a mediocre ballplayer.   There’s a reason he was available for $800 k.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s on pace to put up a 2ish WAR season.  For 800k and a late signing, not sure we could have asked for more.

Its been a good signing and I have no issue with him there.  Much better than the alternatives we had.

Yeah, and they could trade him for another team's 15-20th prospect at the deadline if Jones, Bannon or Nevin look ready.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, and they could trade him for another team's 15-20th prospect at the deadline if Jones, Bannon or Nevin look ready.

Not sure how many teams would be interested in Franco at the trade deadline.  Maybe we could get a couple of recently signed latin-american players, ala the Cashner deal.

I have to tell you, @Explosivo, I'm old enough to have seen Manny Machado play.  And I'm not old enough, but I've heard allllll about Brooks Robinson.  And I've seen all 5 highlights of his that exist.

But once you see a guy like Machado, you can't unsee it.  And there's no one that holds a candle to him.  I have an impossibly high bar when it comes to third base defense.  Quite frankly, if you're not in the Machado/Robinson class, I'm not interested.  

(Couldn't resist, @Frobby :) )

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Not sure how many teams would be interested in Franco at the trade deadline.  Maybe we could get a couple of recently signed latin-american players, ala the Cashner deal.

It depends on what is available.  Franco will cost his team almost nothing in terms of salary.  That makes him valuable to cash strapped teams.

If he has a 750+ OPS by July, someone will have use for him, even if it’s just for an extra bat to play the CI spots and DH.  

I am old enough to have seen Manny Machado, and Brooks Robinson, and Doug DeCinces and Todd Cruz play third for the O's. They were great.

I also have seen Leo Gomez, and Melvin Mora and they were fine.

But if memory serves I've also seen Floyd Rayford, and Wayne Gross and Ray Knight on the hot corner for the O's. And, even Chris Davis once or twice.

So if the O's want Maikel Franco over there instead of Ray Knight, I'm fine with that.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Carllamy said:

I am old enough to have seen Manny Machado, and Brooks Robinson, and Doug DeCinces and Todd Cruz play third for the O's. They were great.

I also have seen Leo Gomez, and Melvin Mora and they were fine.

But if memory serves I've also seen Floyd Rayford, and Wayne Gross and Ray Knight on the hot corner for the O's. And, even Chris Davis once or twice.

So if the O's want Maikel Franco over there instead of Ray Knight, I'm fine with that.

No mention of Reynolds?  Betemit?

I didn’t recall Todd Cruz being anything special.  DeCinces, on the other hand, was really good but had the misfortune of following Brooks.  

6 hours ago, Carllamy said:

I saw them all as well. But you know, there’s one in your group who was not like the others. 

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2021 at 1:21 AM, GuidoSarducci said:

Franco is pretty much what we expected, maybe a slight disappointment. His situational hitting is actually pretty good though and he is 2nd on the team in RBI with 17

What? He was a late camp signing for $800K... What expectations did you have that he is letting down?

• Upvote 1

I would love to see Buddy Bell and Manny side by side. I loved Bell and he was a great 3B.

Jones is not good, though. I’m happy to give him a trial but his D was bad during ST and he made an error in the first MiLB game.