Kyle Bradish 2021

Frobby

15 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Right.  He mentioned there were several different balls.  But the proof was in the pudding - He finished the season very strongly, so presumably he was able to get used to the ball he'll be using in MLB.  Tbh, if some are trying to paint him having a bad attitude from that interview... I think that's an enormous stretch.   

It actually wasn't just from that interview. Nothing in the interview was problematic to me.

Like I said, I don't know anything about the guy. Probably shouldn't have said anything. It's just a vibe I've picked up when he's struggled this year.

I do think he carries himself like a dude though. Thinks he's badass. Probably is badass. Again. Just the very distant vibe I get. No inside info or anything.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2021 at 12:17 PM, LookinUp said:

I don't mean to stir the pot because I know nothing about him, but I get the feeling that he has a sour attitude. 

I get the feeling that he thinks he's really good and was very frustrated with the ball in AAA this year. I hope he's right about the first part and gets over the second part. Lol.

You are correct: You know nothing about him.

On 11/1/2021 at 5:57 PM, Ruzious said:

Right.  He mentioned there were several different balls.  But the proof was in the pudding - He finished the season very strongly, so presumably he was able to get used to the ball he'll be using in MLB.  Tbh, if some are trying to paint him having a bad attitude from that interview... I think that's an enormous stretch.   

He basically ditched the curveball and went slider heavy late in the year. 

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Do you think his curveball was a good pitch for him before going to AAA?  Apologies if you've already spoken to that.  

It had good 1-7 bite and seemed to be a good offset to his fastball, but that pitch doesn't seemed to be used very much in the majors by right-handers as often now. He tended to bury it a lot in the dirt and that also doesn't typically work in the majors. 

He only had a 11% swinging strike rate in AAA but I don't have the break down between pitches. 

I try to remember how good Kremer's curveball looked in Double-A and how it didn't work in the majors.

On 11/16/2021 at 5:38 PM, Tony-OH said:

It had good 1-7 bite and seemed to be a good offset to his fastball, but that pitch doesn't seemed to be used very much in the majors by right-handers as often now. He tended to bury it a lot in the dirt and that also doesn't typically work in the majors. 

He only had a 11% swinging strike rate in AAA but I don't have the break down between pitches. 

I try to remember how good Kremer's curveball looked in Double-A and how it didn't work in the majors.

Historically, Bradish got a lot of looking K's with that pitch as it starts out looking at eye level and then it just " falls off the table" and into the strike zone.

How that pitch will develop in the future is anyone's guess. However, (depending on how MLB screws around with the balls in the off season) it may become effective again, or be dropped for something else.

BTW, Congratulations to Bradish for being added to the O's 40 man roster!

Edited by Lurker
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I think the point is just touched 100.   The wall I think is just there to save on training space - pitch velo is I believe at max right out of the hand and slows down a bit on the way to the plate.

It looked to me like on the second one that got there he got some extra momentum stepping forward with his right leg first as an outfielder would getting some extra oomph on a throw.   I don't think pitchers get to do that either from the windup or stretch.  

But yeah, touching 100.

59 minutes ago, interloper said:

It is my contention that the board is sleeping on Bradish. He reminds me a lot of Chris Tillman, except with reliable velocity instead of 88 one night, 94 another night. The breaking ball is going to play. He's still learning and adjusting I think. 

I hope you’re right.  He finished the season very strong.  With 86.2 innings of AAA under his belt, he’s actually got more AAA time than any of the pitching prospects we’ve promoted over the last two years except for Akin.   

• Upvote 1

On 1/10/2022 at 4:42 PM, interloper said:

It is my contention that the board is sleeping on Bradish. He reminds me a lot of Chris Tillman, except with reliable velocity instead of 88 one night, 94 another night. The breaking ball is going to play. He's still learning and adjusting I think. 

The interesting thing is he basically dumped the big curveball for the slider late in the year as his goto pitch when he had better success. The problem is he really doesn't have a consistent changeup to give him that 3rd pitch.

The change is pretty hard in the 89-90 range but he was holding his velocity into the 5th inning better by the end of the year.

I still think he's going to end up in the pen as a good bullpen arm, but there's still some hope for him as a starter. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The interesting thing is he basically dumped the big curveball for the slider late in the year as his goto pitch when he had better success. The problem is he really doesn't have a consistent changeup to give him that 3rd pitch.

The change is pretty hard in the 89-90 range but he was holding his velocity into the 5th inning better by the end of the year.

I still think he's going to end up in the pen as a good bullpen arm, but there's still some hope for him as a starter. 

I've read Gausman say the key to his success was basically becoming a two pitch pitcher, but I haven't bothered to look at his pitch chart to see how true that was. Sometimes all you need is a get me over 3rd pitch that doesn't have to be good just slightly offspeed from the other two. 

39 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I've read Gausman say the key to his success was basically becoming a two pitch pitcher, but I haven't bothered to look at his pitch chart to see how true that was. Sometimes all you need is a get me over 3rd pitch that doesn't have to be good just slightly offspeed from the other two. 

He certainly did go very fastball, split change heavy last year. 

His pitches:

Fastball - 1583
Split Finger - 1061
Changeup - 181 ..these could have been just bad split fingers in my opinion
Slider - 177

Bradish though doesn't have that swing and miss pitch like Gausman's split-finger.