Drew Rom 2021

Frobby

Not to be bearing of bad news, but Rom was absolutely awful last night. Not sure if he's tired or what, but he couldn't command anything last night.

Looked like thy came into the game trying to work on the slider and changeup but neither pitch was good. The slider didn't have a lot of bite and very little vertical movement minus a few. The changeup was absolutely awful. No feel for the pitch at all. He threw at least two that were Nuke Laloosh like with the only difference being he didn't hit the mascot.

His fastball was his best pitch last night though even that had below average command. He did get some swings and misses up with it but it was hit hard in hitters counts when he didn't keep it up.

Maybe he's going through a little funk, but the lack of a remotely good changeup is going to drop his prospect status. If I were the Orioles, that has to be priority for him in the offseason is to find a grip that works for him. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Not to be bearing of bad news, but Rom was absolutely awful last night. Not sure if he's tired or what, but he couldn't command anything last night.

Looked like thy came into the game trying to work on the slider and changeup but neither pitch was good. The slider didn't have a lot of bite and very little vertical movement minus a few. The changeup was absolutely awful. No feel for the pitch at all. He threw at least two that were Nuke Laloosh like with the only difference being he didn't hit the mascot.

His fastball was his best pitch last night though even that had below average command. He did get some swings and misses up with it but it was hit hard in hitters counts when he didn't keep it up.

Maybe he's going through a little funk, but the lack of a remotely good changeup is going to drop his prospect status. If I were the Orioles, that has to be priority for him in the offseason is to find a grip that works for him. 

If he can't command and he can't change speeds, he can't pitch in the MLs.

Hopefully, you just saw him on an off night, in the doggest of dog days.

8 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I understand he's only 21, but fearly his peak is a younger Lawther or lefty version of Kremer without the above average fastball. Pitchers with 89-91 seemed to get destroyed in the big leagues.

Lowther-lite?  Pitchers having success in the minors and being destroyed in the majors seems to be a recent theme.  Concerning if this is going to be a recurrent theme.  The O's need more than "sure thing" types with 98-100 mph fastballs to have a successful major league staff.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Lowther-lite?  Pitchers having success in the minors and being destroyed in the majors seems to be a recent theme.  Concerning if this is going to be a recurrent theme.  The O's need more than "sure thing" types with 98-100 mph fastballs to have a successful major league staff.

I hear those guys grow on trees.  

Soul crusher for Rom tonight, piggybacking for Bowie.   He entered in the sixth, threw three scoreless, but then allowed four runs in the ninth, including a two out three-run homer.   He struck out 6 in 4 innings, walking nobody, but took the loss.   

• 3 weeks later...

Rom with 5 scoreless tonight, 3 hits no walks 7 strikeouts.  51 of 72 pitches were strikes.   That’s his second straight scoreless outing, so hopefully he’s righting the ship after four straight shaky outings in August.   One more regular season start for Rom, and I hope he closes strong.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Rom with 5 scoreless tonight, 3 hits no walks 7 strikeouts.  51 of 72 pitches were strikes.   That’s his second straight scoreless outing, so hopefully he’s righting the ship after four straight shaky outings in August.   One more regular season start for Rom, and I hope he closes strong.  

I think this season has to be considered a successful one for Rom.  A fairly successful one at that.

He reached AA at 21.  While his ERA there doesn't look great, his peripherals have some encouraging signs.   I know the game has changed, and I know Rom isn't a power guy, but he's still King over 9 per 9 at AA.  He K/BB is still over 3:1.  He also seems to be making improvement on keeping the ball on the ground.

This kid has a chance.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think this season has to be considered a successful one for Rom.  A fairly successful one at that.

He reached AA at 21.  While his ERA there doesn't look great, his peripherals have some encouraging signs.   I know the game has changed, and I know Rom isn't a power guy, but he's still King over 9 per 9 at AA.  He K/BB is still over 3:1.  He also seems to be making improvement on keeping the ball on the ground.

This kid has a chance.

I agree 100%.   He’s held his own there at age 21.    I assume he’ll begin 2022 back at Bowie but he’ll be in good position for an early/mid season promotion to AAA and on the cusp of the majors at 22.   He’s got work to do but also has some tools to work with.  

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree 100%.   He’s held his own there at age 21.    I assume he’ll begin 2022 back at Bowie but he’ll be in good position for an early/mid season promotion to AAA and on the cusp of the majors at 22.   He’s got work to do but also has some tools to work with.  

Age 21 matters. I kept forgetting how young he is. Reaching AA is a big deal especially after missing a full season. 

2 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Capitalizing on the free minor league TV, just caught his bottom of 2nd and announcer said he touched 94 on stadium gun for the strikeout pitch that inning.   6 up, 6 down so far.

For a 21 year old LHP, thats pretty impressive velocity.