Orioles looking at SS options

Sports Guy

I still think trying to get Khalil Greene is the best way to go for this team. Some people have said Cabrera for Greene would work... I'd even throw in some $$$ to make it so.
Count me in the group that wants to see Khalil Greene. I wouldn't trade much to get him though, not giving up someone like Reimold for him. Coming off last year and being owed a decent chunk of change, his value is very low, but I'd like to take a gamble on him.

If they can get Jason Donald though, that'd be a great guy to target.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And as I mentioned in another thread when Brian Roberts was asked about free agent priorities recently he also talked (while making clear that he was only giving his perspective as a player) about pitching (specifically Burnett) and shortstop (Furcal). Perhaps the Orioles are finally going with the prudent decision on something instead of the flashy one. :excited:

Tex > Burnett and Furcal

Furcal is going to get a minimum of 3 years and probably more than that.

We can still sign Burnett if we get Tex.

There is absolutely no question that the single best thing we can do this offseason, in terms of player acquisition, is sign Tex.

Who do I think will be our SS in 2009? Cedeno

Who would I like to see?

In order:

Andrus

DeJesus

Cedeno

Furcal looks good on paper. Especially if he doesn't cost a pick but I just think his body is going to crumble in the next year and turn into Albert Belle part 2.

I also want Jason Donald from Phily but for 2B. Trade Mora + an arm and get this guy.

Who do I think will be our SS in 2009? Cedeno

Who would I like to see?

In order:

Andrus

DeJesus

Cedeno

Furcal looks good on paper. Especially if he doesn't cost a pick but I just think his body is going to crumble in the next year and turn into Albert Belle part 2.

I also want Jason Donald from Phily but for 2B. Trade Mora + an arm and get this guy.

DeJesus is also looking like a second baseman. I think Donald may have a better chance at being at SS to be honest...either way, give me Donald for either positon...He has more power.

It would be so nice if we could deal Mora for Donald.

DeJesus is also looking like a second baseman. I think Donald may have a better chance at being at SS to be honest...either way, give me Donald for either positon...He has more power.

It would be so nice if we could deal Mora for Donald.

DeJesus has been flat out terrible defensively in the AFL at SS thus far.

Joaquin Arias is still my top target in trade. He won't cost much and could have a .725-.750 OPS with great defense at the position.

Guest BrettMeister86

I have been an advocate of Greene for a long time. He is on a team that is looking to offload his 6 million dollar salary, he has much better road stats than home stats and would almost certainly benefit from playing at OPACY, he is from the East Coast, and he wouldn't take much to acquire. I would trade Cabrera or Reimold for Greene without batting an eye. Greene could be just as good as Hardy for a fraction of the price. Kahlil Greene is the way to go.

Just look at this lineup!

2B Roberts

CF Jones

RF Markakis

1B Tex

DH Huff

LF Scott

3B Mora

C Wieters

SS Greene

If we are unable to get a top young SS in a trade I would rather sign Nick Punto to play SS than anyone else on the market. Furcal, yes, but really I would rather those resources go to pitching. Here is Punto's numbers the last 3 years:

.290/.352/.373

.210/.291/.271

.284/.344/.382

Not sure how he is defensively, but just off first impressions he is decent. I think that would be an upgrade over what we already have.

And as I mentioned in another thread when Brian Roberts was asked about free agent priorities recently he also talked (while making clear that he was only giving his perspective as a player) about pitching (specifically Burnett) and shortstop (Furcal). Perhaps the Orioles are finally going with the prudent decision on something instead of the flashy one. :excited:

I would be beside myself if we landed Tex, Burnett, Furcal, and Garland. I'd spend an entire draft class on these 4 FAs... it's better than spacing it out over two or more years of free agents and subsequent drafts.

Interesting 1B was not one of those priorities Roch mentioned....
For folks who want Tex, I hear ya'. But let's not pretend it has anything to do with needing a 1B next season. There are some real holes on this team, which Roch's blog accurately listed. 1B isn't one of them.

Archived