Richie Martin injured

Legend_Of_Joey

It was only his second professional game ever in center field. When you move guys around from position to position from game to game, there is a unfamiliarity that comes with a new position. I don't know if his unfamiliarity with playing the outfield contributed to him hitting the wall or not, but it's a risk the organization is taking by moving guys like him and Vavra back and forth between the infield and outfield without a lot of experience in the outfield.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It was only his second professional game ever in center field. When you move guys around from position to position from game to game, there is a unfamiliarity that comes with a new position. I don't know if his unfamiliarity with playing the outfield contributed to him hitting the wall or not, but it's a risk the organization is taking by moving guys like him and Vavra back and forth between the infield and outfield without a lot of experience in the outfield.

Not that I’m an expert or anything...

But it seems pretty dumb to try and turn players into “utility” guys at a constant pace, instead of letting them concentrate at one spot. 

Mountcastle being in multiple spots, Trey going to the outfield, Stevie learning all 9 spots, Vavra and Martin, Holoday last season...

How long until we see Rutschman at 3rd?

39 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Not that I’m an expert or anything...

But it seems pretty dumb to try and turn players into “utility” guys at a constant pace, instead of letting them concentrate at one spot. 

Mountcastle being in multiple spots, Trey going to the outfield, Stevie learning all 9 spots, Vavra and Martin, Holoday last season...

How long until we see Rutschman at 3rd?

I'm not a fan of all this jumping around for players. I kind feel like if you want to give him experience in center field because you think he's going to be a utility guy, then you play him there for a month straight and see how it goes. Same thing with Vavra. If you think Vavra is a your second baseman of the future and he needs to improve, then you keep running him out there. if you think he won't be able to play second base effectively, then put him in the outfield. Vavra has an everyday player's bat so it's time to see where he can play most days unless you feel he's a super utility guy.

I'm all about versatility, but just look at the fielding percentages of the Delmarva infield prospects (Henderson, Westburg, Servideo, and Hernaiz) as they move around from position to position. Moving guys constantly around doesn't make anyone for comfortable.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bpilktree said:

That is 60 day do so should open up roster spot if we need it.  

The only way the 60 day IL plays into this is if the O's call him up to the majors.  Then they can put him on the 60 day IL but they also have to pay him a major league salary to be injured.  I don't know if the O's will do that to get a roster spot.

Its really a bad break for Martin as a player and the O's for roster considerations.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why is he playing CF?  I get that they are working on developing his versatility, but can’t they do that after he shows he can’t be a strictly IF option at the MLB level?

Martin has not hit well since the O's drafted him.   He may mean he will not become an everyday starter at SS or 2B.   The O's probably want to increase is versatility to become a utility player.   That is why he was in CF is my guess.