McKenna optioned to Norfolk

SteveA

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Are we hurting McKenna’s development right now by using him only vs LHP, and then as a defensive replacement?  The guy was actually putting up decent numbers in AAA. 

He might not be a top prospect, but we should have a vet filling the role that he’s filling right now. It’s kind of a waste. 

McKenna needs to succeed in this role if he wants to stick. I wouldn't change anything based on 22 AB's in AAA. As long as he gets reps as defensive replacement I'm OK with that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see that he hit his 4th homer at Norfolk and has an OPS of .974 there in SSS.  The pop in his bat will likely always be a question, but right now, I think there's some hope for him.  We don't need him to be a power-house, but it'd be great to see him keep this up.  

Another homer for McKenna last night in AAA. 

https://www.milb.com/player/ryan-mckenna-663630?stats=career-r-hitting-minors&year=2021

Not saying he’s ever going to be more than a reserve OF, but if they would just leave him in AAA for an extended period of time, and stop yanking him around, he may be having a breakout season. 

A guy like McKenna is valuable, turned 24 in February, because of how much Hays, Santander, Stewart, and Diaz are hurt. 

If we need a part time OF to get 30 ABs in 30 games, or to pinch run, or to be a defensive sub, then we should a vet doing that and actually try and see if McKenna can develop. 

43 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

https://www.milb.com/player/ryan-mckenna-663630?stats=career-r-hitting-minors&year=2021

Not saying he’s ever going to be more than a reserve OF, but if they would just leave him in AAA for an extended period of time, and stop yanking him around, he may be having a breakout season. 

A guy like McKenna is valuable, turned 24 in February, because of how much Hays, Santander, Stewart, and Diaz are hurt. 

If we need a part time OF to get 30 ABs in 30 games, or to pinch run, or to be a defensive sub, then we should a vet doing that and actually try and see if McKenna can develop. 

I’m not as down on McKenna as some around here.   Not sure he can be more than a 4th outfielder, but teams need 4th outfielders.   I’m glad to see him hitting well at Norfolk.    I do think he’ll be in the bigs again if any of our outfielders go on the IL, which always seems like a likely contingency.  Of course, they might want to get a look at Diaz if he’s not on the IL himself.   

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Have to admit those AAA numbers are fairly impressive. Good to see him playing well at that level.