Hyde can’t manage this team

Explosivo

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Every time buck said, “this is who we have,” I wanted to slap him.

THATS WHAT THE OFF-SEASON IS FOR YOU FOOL!

Now I understand that Mike is dealing with a different set of parameters, but still it is contingent upon him to find worthwhile players, they don’t have to be fabulous, but they have to be better than negative.

Yup.  There is so little talent on the major league roster, it's mind blowing.  Mullins, Mancini, Galvis, Means and a whole bunch of (1) question marks or (2) bad players. 

Changing managers in desperation usually doesn't work..  I recall the Orioles firing Cal Ripken Sr after they went 0-6 in 1988 but Frank Robinson then went 0-15.  

These games are pretty close hopefully they will start hitting again soon like at the beginning of the season.  I'm not sure why everyone on the Orioles stopped hitting they are making mediocre  opposing pitchers look like Cy Young or Bob Gibson. 

14 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

Changing managers in desperation usually doesn't work..  I recall the Orioles firing Cal Ripken Sr after they went 0-6 in 1988 but Frank Robinson then went 0-15.  

These games are pretty close hopefully they will start hitting again soon like at the beginning of the season.  I'm not sure why everyone on the Orioles stopped hitting they are making mediocre  opposing pitchers look like Cy Young or Bob Gibson. 

That was wrong to get rid of Cal then and it’s incorrect to get rid of Hyde now. We quite frankly need Hyde to be this bad to get the result we want and that’s to be the worst baseball team in the majors. Let’s look at the Astros and when Elias took over and just how long they were in the cellar until they amassed such talent to get them over the hump. Elias was with the Astros for 5 years. 2012- 2014 were historically bad for the club. 2015 they finished middle of the pack, then 2016 finished second in their division and afterwards they’ve been rolling. Like I am hoping, we will be bad for two more years and then likewise will be rolling.

Edited by Explosivo

8 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

That was wrong to get rid of Cal then and it’s incorrect to get rid of Hyde now. We quite frankly need Hyde to be this bad to get the result we want and that’s to be the worst baseball team in the majors. Let’s look at the Astros and when Elias took over and just how long they were in the cellar until they amassed such talent to get them over the hump.

I didn't think either Cal Sr or Frank were very good managers so it wasn't much of an improvement .  Six games is too soon to make a change I doubt the O's would have gone 0-21 if they'd retained Cal Sr.

I can understand the desire to have a bad record and amiss talent and I agree with that philosophy  to some degree.   but not to the degree of being an embarrassment , challenging all time losing streaks or even the 1962 Mets losses for losses. 

Remember too part of the Astros success was due to cheating with stealing signs I would not want to win like that. .

31 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

Oh, I think it would be a very bad idea to change managers now. I don’t think there would be any benefit to it at all, not even the satisfaction of getting rid of the guy on whom you place the lions share of the responsibility, because although I don’t think he’s a very good manager, I don’t think he bears a lot of the responsibility. No, let him finish out this contract and then sent him on his way and I or somebody who knows how to manage and who has a powerful personality and can get the most out of the players.

In 2012, the Astros nabbed Carlos Correa with the number 1 overall pick and Lance McCoulers with their next pick. 2013 they took Mark Appel, a bust. Whiffing on Kris Bryant, but a lot of teams missed their mark in that year. 2014 was another whiff with them selecting Brady Aiken. 2015 they got Bergman and struck gold. So that was 4 years in a row of picking first overall, they hit on two out of the four years and built the club around those players and others.

We clearly struck gold with Adley, we’ve got huge returns with Grayson, Henderson and Hall. We will have a top 10 draft pick this year and likely have another number 1 overall this year. I trust in Elias and his recognition of talent. He has shown with Correa and Bregman, he can pick well. He whiffed on the two pitchers, but has already scored on Grayson and Hall. He picked well with Henderson and the jury is out on Kjerstad. 

Using the Astros as a blueprint, we are two years away and have a lot more talent in the AAA and AA levels than some realize.

I agree that cheating to win is wrong, but as they are at least showing now, they were talented in the first place. 

Edited by Explosivo

11 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

In 2012, the Astros nabbed Carlos Correa with the number 1 overall pick and Lance McCoulers with their next pick. 2013 they took Mark Appel, a bust. Whiffing on Kris Bryant, but a lot of teams missed their mark in that year. 2014 was another whiff with them selecting Brady Aiken. 2015 they got Bergman and struck gold. So that was 4 years in a row of picking first overall, they hit on two out of the four years and built the club around those players and others.

We clearly struck gold with Adley, we’ve got huge returns with Grayson, Henderson and Hall. We will have a top 10 draft pick this year and likely have another number 1 overall this year. I trust in Elias and his recognition of talent. He has shown with Correa and Bregman, he can pick well. He whiffed on the two pitchers, but has already scored on Grayson and Hall. He picked well with Henderson and the jury is out on Kjerstad. 

Using the Astros as a blueprint, we are two years away and have a lot more talent in the AAA and AA levels than some realize.

I agree that cheating to win is wrong, but as they are at least showing now, they were talented in the first place. 

Pretty sure Dan drafted Grayson and Hall.  

Whatever though, the only good thing about this year so far aside from Means, Mullins and Mancini is seeing our minor leaguers really stepping up and delivering.  

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

Another shining example, how do you swing at that pitch in a 3-1 count with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth? How is it not obvious you take the pitch unless it’s right down the middle? You need baserunners, it could have been ball four and now you’ve got a chance to tie it and go to extras. Instead, the Orioles don’t seem to understand the fundamentals of situational baseball and he swings and hits a weak grounder. That’s on the manager. How do you not tell your guys what to do in that situation? How do they not know what to do already? This team continues to show how poorly managed it is. Lack of fundamentals, all things equal rests squarely on the managers. This is why we have spring training. This is why we have practices. This is why these old fogeys are in the clubhouse, so they can relate their wealth of baseball knowledge to remind players what to do in each given situation. Pathetic.

Can of Corn and I disagreed about this a little while ago in the game thread. I just don't see any justification for not giving him the take sign, maybe even bluffing a bunt, unless Hyde knew that Wilkerson had learned that a hitter like him should take in that situation. In one way or another, lousy judgment by Hyde.

44 minutes ago, jjnono said:

LOL. Arguing about a take call for a team playing .321 ball.  What difference does it make on any level? Hyde can't manage what he doesn't have.  Be thankful for another first first pick...

He actually can affect the game in that instance. Managers are supposed to utilize moments in games and situations in games to teach players on what they are supposed to do in those moments. That’s how managers can affect the game. It’s not just on who to throw and when or what lineup to use against a specific pitcher. It’s supposed to also be about their knowledge base of the game as they have been around it for much, much longer than anyone else on the team. That’s their role. Did you see that affecting the game or did the manager just let a kid who still calls himself Stevie do whatever he wanted in that situation? Is this another Hayes decided to bunt on his own and after the fact Hyde gets all butt hurt? A manager is supposed to make decisions that affect the game before they happen, not play armchair quarterback like us fans. 

1 minute ago, Explosivo said:

He actually can affect the game in that instance. Managers are supposed to utilize moments in games and situations in games to teach players on what they are supposed to do in those moments. That’s how managers can affect the game. It’s not just on who to throw and when or what lineup to use against a specific pitcher. It’s supposed to also be about their knowledge base of the game as they have been around it for much, much longer than anyone else on the team. That’s their role. Did you see that affecting the game or did the manager just let a kid who still calls himself Stevie do whatever he wanted in that situation? Is this another Hayes decided to bunt on his own and after the fact Hyde gets all butt hurt? A manager is supposed to make decisions that affect the game before they happen, not play armchair quarterback like us fans. 

He's 29.

Stevie Wonder is 71.

If Earl Weaver from 1969 was brought back to life and made 2021 Orioles manager he would only have small effect on W-L record. A good manager can't do much with a bad team as Weaver found out when he un-retired in 1985-86

Hyde should be retained until his contract runs out.  Unfortunately I don't think he'll ever get. another managerial job as he'll be remembered for the bad years here.