Hyde can’t manage this team

Explosivo

1 hour ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

*too ?

That was the joke. And you couldn’t be more incorrect with this team. There are talented pieces here but the calvary is coming in AA especially and a few more in AAA. Two years time. Elias is building a monster. The fact that you can’t see that is more of an indictment of your brain. Some of you are dumber than a box of hair and I question if you’re even fans. Oh well, Baltimore county isn’t known for their school systems.

I think Hyde motivates his players well.  There are several players that need to be replaced in the near future.  I will be interested to see if it really happens which is more on Elias than Hyde.  Next year when Hyde has better players and is supposed to win will be more of a test for him.  For now I think he is doing a good job.

I will say that the losing appears  to be getting to him in the post game shows.   But he bounces back the next day.

The only intelligent issue that is hurting Hyde right now is that we aren’t seeing a lot of improvement from young talent.

Otoh, a lot of these guys had development stunted last year and we would be judging that based off of a SSS of results anyway.

Im excited to have Hyde here but, like basically any manager, he’s replaceable.  Most are.  Buck was here a few years too long and for as much as he helped turn the organization around, he also hurt us long term. 

Hyde isn’t hurting us right now but if the you guys don’t progress between now and the end of the year, I think you have to start thinking about replacing him.

Still, I think 2020 will be used as an excuse (and perhaps rightfully so) and it will allow the team to stay with Hyde and see what happens in 2022.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The only intelligent issue that is hurting Hyde right now is that we aren’t seeing a lot of improvement from young talent.

Otoh, a lot of these guys had development stunted last year and we would be judging that based off of a SSS of results anyway.

Im excited to have Hyde here but, like basically any manager, he’s replaceable.  Most are.  Buck was here a few years too long and for as much as he helped turn the organization around, he also hurt us long term. 

Hyde isn’t hurting us right now but if the you guys don’t progress between now and the end of the year, I think you have to start thinking about replacing him.

Still, I think 2020 will be used as an excuse (and perhaps rightfully so) and it will allow the team to stay with Hyde and see what happens in 2022.

I expect that Hyde will finish his contract, will have a nice private chat with ownership, and then will “...want to spend more time with my family.” And we will hire someone who is better at the craft of managing.

Is Billy Martin available?

15 hours ago, Pushmonkey said:

Hyde was upset the bunt happened. 

It seems to me that while it’s generally OK to let players make their own decisions, in the 9th inning of a one-run game the manager should be calling the shots.    And he needs to let his players know that.   Hays shouldn’t have had any discretion there.   So to me it’s on Hyde even if Hays made a bad decision.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Outside of Mullins, Hays, and Mancini - what would any of you do with this team?  Who do you play and where do you put them on the field and in the batting order?  Hyde has nothing to work with.

Switch the two catchers we have for two from the minors. None of them can hit, so bring up the best defenders.

Put Mountcastle at 1B/DH with Mancini and leave him there forever. That is already happening most of the time, but Hyde still puts him in LF, God  alone knows why.

It is unwise to make wholesale infield changes, but we’ve already dumped Urias and Ruiz, Galvis is here for the season, it seems, so why not get rid of Franco? He’s worth minus 0.1 Fwar, his WRC is 64, his defense is awful. In the best world, he’d be traded by July, but this is this world and not the best one, so he’s useless either to this team or any other. Send him on his way, bring up Bannon? Not Bannon, but someone? Dorian? Can Valaika play 3B? We got nobody better than Franco? Bad offseason, Mr Elias.

the outfield is great. Hays, Santander, Mullins, McKenna is 3 +1. Stewart... gotta do something with him, but no idea what.

But those are worthwhile suggestions for the moment.

Tomorrows episode discusses pitching.

15 hours ago, Explosivo said:

That was the joke. And you couldn’t be more incorrect with this team. There are talented pieces here but the calvary is coming in AA especially and a few more in AAA. Two years time. Elias is building a monster. The fact that you can’t see that is more of an indictment of your brain. Some of you are dumber than a box of hair and I question if you’re even fans. Oh well, Baltimore county isn’t known for their school systems.

NEws to explosivo,

’Calvary’ Is the place where Jesus was crucified.

Did you mean ‘Cavalry’?

and you have the gumption to question another person’s education?  Dummy! 

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

NEws to explosivo,

’Calvary’ Is the place where Jesus was crucified.

Did you mean ‘Cavalry’?

and you have the gumption to question another person’s education?  Dummy! 

That’s the joke. Sometimes I think a requirement for being an Orioles fan is to be a pessimist. There’s plenty to be happy about with what Elias has done in such a short term. Returns will be felt two years from now and with Hyde back as a bench coach for Joe Madden.

Edited by Explosivo

On 5/23/2021 at 9:18 PM, Philip said:

Hyde has several problems, but the worst is that he can’t motivate the players. They are complacent, and there’s no apparent remedy. Buck was phoning it in his last year, and the worst thing he said was, “this is what we have.” Hyde is the same. There’s no consequence for playing badly.

It is human nature to give what others are giving. If people around you aren’t giving their best, it is only normal to give less than your own best, regardless of what the propagandists say. Why bother striving, when everyone gets paid the same? Severino is lazy, that’s one of the few things everyone on this board agrees on, and yet, where are the consequences? Yeah yeah yeah, folks say,” we don’t know what Hyde says to him in private” and that is true, but so what? He yells and curses and threatens, and then pencils him into the lineup next day. What could be emptier?

Its possible Mike has said, “suck it up.” In which came Hyde gets a pass, but in that case, Hyde is a paper tiger, and everyone knows it, including Hyde, and he himself is as complacent as the rest, so he should go

The team is lazy. The manager is responsible for that. Nobody ever slacked under Billy Martin. 5’8 and 140, he’d kick your butt and your dad’s too.

It took two years to get rid of Mike Wright and David Hess, and Ruiz stayed way past his expiration date. I’d be happy to send the catchers packing and bring up guys from the minors, and send a message to the others.

If that is impossible, then I wish at least Hyde were willing to call guys out for sloppy play.

Motivate players this isn’t a team with lots of older players that have made money and getting older in age and just collecting checks.  If you are a young player and haven’t proven yourself to even stay in the majors and then hopefully get a good second contract or atleast arbitration then I don’t want you on the team anyway.  You can go playing around in the minors making a few bucks riding buses around.  If these guys with no track record can’t motivate them selfs to keep them up in the majors and on the 40 man, we should blow it all up and start over.