Hyde can’t manage this team

Explosivo

Just now, Gofannon said:

For the record, I am not much of a fan of Brandon Hyde and can't think of a time when I thought he won a game for us.  I just think he is a placeholder, the Stevie Wilkerson or Maikel Franco of management.

That said, Dempsey is the last place I would go.  That's been my feeling for decades.  Now that he turns 72, I think it's best for everyone if he hangs up the metallic gray suit and calls it a day.  Can you imagine how sick the players would get of hearing about the '83 Series?

I regret suggesting his name. How's about just letting a fan take over for a year then. Screw it.

22 hours ago, Explosivo said:

He’s only been in the league for a cup of coffee. Teams are an extension of the manager’s intention met with the players’ ability. How they play is a reflection of the manager. Why do you think they have signs in baseball? You don’t understand and that’s fine. I agree that he shouldn’t have to signal that and for a player like Mancini you’re right. For a kid who’s never been in the majors for more than a couple of weeks, you have the foresight to remind the lad. 

Wilkerson has played in 145 MLB games, has 445 MLB PAs and is almost 30 years of age. He's been getting paid to play baseball since 2014.  He's played in the majors for more than a couple of weeks... I don't disagree that how a team plays can be, to a degree, a reflection of the manager's style.  I just think in this instance the Orioles pathos is more about a lack of talent - or maybe an unwillingness to improve the talent (front office) - than it is Hyde's failings as a manager.  If he had some talent to work with, we'd know more clearly if he's any good at his job... And Wilkerson being impatient at the plate in a tight game isn't necessarily on Hyde...  Welcome to the board!

• Upvote 2

FWIW, a good manager is able to make players play to their best ability. It is impossible to give 120%, it’s even impossible to give 100%, but it IS possible to consistently give 90-95% of your best.

Now, the Best of most of these guys isn’t very good, But we have no way of definitely knowing what manager X is or is not getting out of them That would be different under manager Y.

But for me, sloppy play, bad managing decisions, repeating the same bad moves from game to game, not playing players in their best position and so on, is a reflection of the manager. I don’t think he should be fired, and I have no idea what Managing Hopefuls would be good alternatives, but Heavens, the Orioles can’t even assemble a worthwhile broadcast team. One can’t expect them to find a good manager.

29 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Who would you suggest? Easy to ridicule and like I said I’m just spitballing. So, step up to the plate. 

I suggest we keep the manager we have until there is enough talent on the team to make a fair judgement.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Robh21223 said:

Even if the talent isn't there, sound fundamentals should be. And with this team, it's not.

The players in the major leagues aren't little leaguers.  Major league managers shouldn't have to teach them "fundamentals".  There is a lack of talent not fundamentals.  When teams lose fans want to fire the manager but that isn't going to solve anything.  Just like firing all the managers Angelos did from 1985 to 2012.  

16 minutes ago, Robh21223 said:

Even if the talent isn't there, sound fundamentals should be. And with this team, it's not.

That’s my point. Since Buck, we have regressed fundamentally. Yes we aren’t as talented as those teams, but we still aren’t making smart decisions throughout the game that yield us wins. What do you think Spring Training is about? To just get warmed up? Do any of you ever stop learning even if not in school? Do players not continue to study and understand the game of baseball past little league? Do you think that a major league player just understands the game completely because he’s a major leaguer? Maybe you guys really did stop learning when you got out of college and grad school...

Buck would routinely seeming put our team in bad positions like walking the bases loaded with one out up by a run to setup the double play. He knew what his players could do and pushed the right buttons at the right times in the regular season. We toppled heavy starting pitching teams like the Tigers with guys like Tillman and Chen. I love those guys but they were not as talented as the Tigers’ starters in 2014. We had a culture and leadership and I’m a big believer that teams are always reflections of their managers. I’m curious what some of you guys think managers do. Most of you seem to think they contribute very little. 

Edited by Explosivo

The team is 3 games off of the Pythagorean winning percentage. Of they were 20-34 instead of 17-37 would that change anyone's opinion? Doubtful. I'm not saying Hyde doesn't deserve criticism for some decisions he's made, but you can only manage what you have.

A lot of hardcore (and not very knowledgeable} fans want Cal as manager.  How about Billy Ripken.  Not sure he has even managed, but he would bring some excitement to the team.  In all seriousness, Hyde should keep the job till the end of the season.  What coach wants to take over a sinking ship?

7 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Who would you suggest? Easy to ridicule and like I said I’m just spitballing. So, step up to the plate. 

It’s definitely easy to ridicule when the ideas are horrendous.

As accinfo said, I keep Hyde until we actually have a team capable of winning games.  I think Hyde is fine and I think you (and many others) are completely overvaluing what a manager does for the team, especially in game.  

However, if the team were to make a managerial change, I would look to bring in someone who knows analytics and comes from an organization that knows how to develop young talent at the ML level.  Guys from organizations like the Dodgers, Rays, Cardinals, et al...I wouldn’t be looking for some crotchety retread guy.

Basically, I would look for another Hyde.  Hyde relates the players, has the respect of the players, has the players playing hard, etc...

When this organization brought in Buck, they needed a change in culture.  Buck brought that.  On the field, he was nothing special but off the field, Buck made a huge difference.  That isn’t something we need anymore though. The culture around this team isn’t bad.  While this recent stretch isn’t fun, they were having fun and the locker room had great chemistry by all accounts.  The team knows what they have coming up, so I don’t feel the organization is headed for some long term issues like in the last.  

We need a relatable guy who knows how to deal with the young athlete and knows how the game today is played.(essentially the opposite of Dempsey)  That’s all I care about.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Robh21223 said:

Every single team in the sport will have brain fart moments.  I think the fundamentals argument is something that fans think sounds good but in reality, is usually bs.

I also think people confuse fundamentals with lack of talent.  

I don’t recall people complaining about lack of fundamentals last year or up until the Means no hitter this year.  

However, the team gets in a horrible stretch and all of a sudden, there is a lack of fundamentals.  It’s like clockwork.  You can always rely on that argument to come out and sure, during this stretch, there has been mistakes.  There has also been terrible luck.  It happens but it doesn’t mean that the team lacks fundamentals.  It means it’s playing bad, running into terrible luck and really lacks talent and when all of that happens at once, you get what the team is going through now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Every single team in the sport will have brain fart moments.  I think the fundamentals argument is something that fans think sounds good but in reality, is usually bs.

I also think people confuse fundamentals with lack of talent.  

I don’t recall people complaining about lack of fundamentals last year or up until the Means no hitter this year.  

However, the team gets in a horrible stretch and all of a sudden, there is a lack of fundamentals.  It’s like clockwork.  You can always rely on that argument to come out and sure, during this stretch, there has been mistakes.  There has also been terrible luck.  It happens but it doesn’t mean that the team lacks fundamentals.  It means it’s playing bad, running into terrible luck and really lacks talent and when all of that happens at once, you get what the team is going through now.

Exactly. Playoff teams make errors and base running mistakes, they just got overlooked when you are winning.