Hyde can’t manage this team

Explosivo

I’m convinced the only reason Hyde is at the helm is to make the wrong decisions that result in losses. I get we have major holes and gaps in starting pitching, relief pitching and the infield but man does he consistently push the wrong buttons. We have plenty of young arms in the bullpen and yet it seems we only see Plutko. I mean, how many games has he pitched this year? I think he’s a pretty good pitcher but you can’t keep going to the well over and over. It’s like he’s been instructed to make this team tank or something. Again, we aren’t supposed to be good this year or the next and really what would help this team out the most is a top 3 draft pick, but wow does this dude not know how to manage this club. Ok, ok, rant over. I feel better.

Edited by Explosivo
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
  • Downvote 2

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The team has scored 5 runs today..which is higher than the league average.  And yet that’s more the average for a team.

How did that happen with Severino batting 5th!!! OMG!!!!!

Scoff all you’d like but when this team gets good in the next two years I do not want Hyde at the helm. The dude does not understand his players and he understands situational baseball even less. He was a bench coach turned manager. He’s a more likable Perlazzo.

Edited by Explosivo

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Yeah, who wouldn’t want to play small ball when down by 1 on the road in the 9th. You give Galvis an opportunity who has been good of late to drive in the run. As we saw, you still give opportunities for either Mancini or Santander. What a doofus this guy is. No no, let Hays swing away and possibly hit into a double play. Yeah that’s a better alternative. Fire this guy after doing what this team needs and finish in last place, securing a top 3 draft pick.

what a joke.

Although there is a bit of over the top attitude here you are essentially correct.

Hyde isn’t trying to lose, But he does not appear to be a good manager. It’s too easy to second-guess his decisions, he doesn’t seem to Inspire his players to give their best, and there don’t seem to be any consequences for bonehead plays.

I do not know how much control he has over the roster, and it’s possible he doesn’t even have control over the lineup, but that’s unlikely.

For all I know he’s been screaming at Mike to let him demote, DFA or release various guys, And gets silence in response, but he doesn’t appear to be a good manager.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Scoff all you’d like but when this team gets good in the next two years I do not want Hyde at the helm. The dude does not understand his players and he understands situational baseball even less. He was a bench coach turned manager. He’s a more likable Perlazzo.

I’m scoffing because your reasoning is absolutely awful.

27 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

I’m not here to convince you. It is what it is. I’m here to voice my opinion. He’s a bad manager.

Alright, how do you manage this team with the pitching staff as currently constructed, aside from John Means?

SG is right, your logic (or lack of) is terrible and you're not doing any favors here by backing it up with facts.  You're here to whine about a manager who's got one of the worst pitching staffs in the game and call him to the mat for what, exactly?  Not coaxing amazing performances out of guys who are lucky to be in the league?

They scored 5 runs today.  I'll agree that the offense can be inconsistent but that's to be expected from a low OBP group.

You're acting like we've got a roster that should be able to compete for first place and we're being managed by Lloyd Christmas.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

Yeah, who wouldn’t want to play small ball when down by 1 on the road in the 9th.

Assuming you're trying to score at least a run to tie the game, then statistically, sac bunting a guy to second with no outs and a decent hitter at the plate is a really bad idea.  It's what you do in that situation with a weak hitter up, and no other options to put the bat into the hands of someone better.

Chance to score at least one run:

Man on first, zero outs:  42.36%

Man on second, one out:  40.60%

Also looking at historic data from past games with this situation (visitor batting in 9th, home up by one), you're hurting your win expectancy by giving up the out.

No bunt:  Home wins 75.8% of the time.

With bunt: Home wins 81% of the time.

• Upvote 3