Hyde can’t manage this team

Explosivo

16 hours ago, Philip said:

Switch the two catchers we have for two from the minors. None of them can hit, so bring up the best defenders.

Put Mountcastle at 1B/DH with Mancini and leave him there forever. That is already happening most of the time, but Hyde still puts him in LF, God  alone knows why.

It is unwise to make wholesale infield changes, but we’ve already dumped Urias and Ruiz, Galvis is here for the season, it seems, so why not get rid of Franco? He’s worth minus 0.1 Fwar, his WRC is 64, his defense is awful. In the best world, he’d be traded by July, but this is this world and not the best one, so he’s useless either to this team or any other. Send him on his way, bring up Bannon? Not Bannon, but someone? Dorian? Can Valaika play 3B? We got nobody better than Franco? Bad offseason, Mr Elias.

the outfield is great. Hays, Santander, Mullins, McKenna is 3 +1. Stewart... gotta do something with him, but no idea what.

But those are worthwhile suggestions for the moment.

Tomorrows episode discusses pitching.

Pretty much all those things you suggested are GM decisions and not managing decisions.  Hyde has to play the guys on the roster so he can’t change catchers if they are not on the roster.  

The second point on switching up the infield players, see point 1.  

The third point on the outfield, they can be good but there not great they also can’t stay on the field most of the season.  Hays was hurt then Santander.  D.J. has been banged up last two weeks and now Hayes is hurt again.  Mountcastle has pretty much played 1st or DH except for few games when Santander was out and D.J. was banged up, then the inter league games.  

so basically none of what you are suggesting is Hyde’s decision.   I agree some of these decisions like catcher should start happening soon if not already, we know what Sisco can do at the point.  He is a backup catcher with below average defense.  

I can't find it, but in these threads I'm constantly reminded of the SportsCenter commercial where someone at ESPN (Tom Jackson maybe?) was breaking down Neil O'Donnell's interception to lose Super Bowl XXX with some "analysts in training." He asks, what did O'Donnell do wrong? The young analysts suggest smart, hyper-specific things that broke down on the play until Jackson shouts "No! The answer is O'Donnell should not have thrown the interception! FUNDAMENTALS, PEOPLE!!!" 

I think about that every time people criticize Hyde because the Orioles aren't good at "fundamentals." 

"No! The answer is that your setup man and closer shouldn't combine to give up six runs in .2 IP! FUNDAMENTALS, PEOPLE!!!"

"No! The answer is that your third baseman shouldn't have a .574 OPS! FUNDAMENTALS, PEOPLE!!!"

Anyway, whatever the Orioles lack in "fundamentals" seems pretty unimportant compared to having lots of bad hitters and lots of bad pitchers. Brandon Hyde can bring in Tom Emanski himself and it's not going to make much difference.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

I can't find it, but in these threads I'm constantly reminded of the SportsCenter commercial where someone at ESPN (Tom Jackson maybe?) was breaking down Neil O'Donnell's interception to lose Super Bowl XXX with some "analysts in training." He asks, what did O'Donnell do wrong? The young analysts suggest smart, hyper-specific things that broke down on the play until Jackson shouts "No! The answer is O'Donnell should not have thrown the interception! FUNDAMENTALS, PEOPLE!!!" 

I think about that every time people criticize Hyde because the Orioles aren't good at "fundamentals." 

"No! The answer is that your setup man and closer shouldn't combine to give up six runs in .2 IP! FUNDAMENTALS, PEOPLE!!!"

"No! The answer is that your third baseman shouldn't have a .574 OPS! FUNDAMENTALS, PEOPLE!!!"

Anyway, whatever the Orioles lack in "fundamentals" seems pretty unimportant compared to having lots of bad hitters and lots of bad pitchers. Brandon Hyde can bring in Tom Emanski himself and it's not going to make much difference.

I appreciate your comment, and I understand that Hyde Is operating under some restrictions and limitations of which we are not aware. I am saying, and many are saying, that within those restrictions he is doing a bad job.

It is absurd to think that Mike is in charge of in-game decisions, the lineup, bullpen usage, when to pull the starter. Those are on Hyde. Sometimes a good decision doesn’t work, sometimes a bad decision is successful, but they remain good or bad. And Hyde is full of the bad.

I do not advocate dismissing him now: that would not solve any problems, But he should not be given a contract beyond his current one.

So: The Orioles have allowed the fewest unearned runs in the AL.   They’ve had the third fewest errors.  Fangraphs has them as the second best defensive team in the AL by the advanced metrics.   

Baserunning, they are a little below average.   Both Fangraphs and BB-ref judge that they are 2 runs below the average team on the bases.    

So really, I don’t see lack of fundamentals as a huge problem for the Orioles.   Sure, sometimes they have miscues defensively or on the bases.    But when you look at it objectively, there’s not evidence that they are drastically worse than other teams in these respects.    

Let’s just keep it simple: the pitching sucks.    It’s sucked all month, to the tune of a 6.23 ERA.  And that’s why they’re losing.  Not fundamentals, not lethargic play.   Bad pitching.    Period.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So: The Orioles have allowed the fewest unearned runs in the AL.   They’ve had the third fewest errors.  Fangraphs has them as the second best defensive team in the AL by the advanced metrics.   

Baserunning, they are a little below average.   Both Fangraphs and BB-ref judge that they are 2 runs below the average team on the bases.    

So really, I don’t see lack of fundamentals as a huge problem for the Orioles.   Sure, sometimes they have miscues defensively or on the bases.    But when you look at it objectively, there’s not evidence that they are drastically worse than other teams in these respects.    

Let’s just keep it simple: the pitching sucks.    It’s sucked all month, to the tune of a 6.23 ERA.  And that’s why they’re losing.  Not fundamentals, not lethargic play.   Bad pitching.    Period.

Oh come on Frobby...it’s far easier for people to blame something they have no idea about than look at facts and make intelligent judgments!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, this is the Hyde managing thread, right?  How's anyone going to manage a 6.23 ERA to wins?

You can question this decision or that one about pitcher usage.   But John Means can’t pitch 63 innings a week, and right now, nobody else is getting the job done.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Did you compare catching defense? 

I understand that Hyde is playing with a short deck, and God bless him, but within his limits he’s still making unsupportable decisions too often to earn another contract. 

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Did you compare catching defense? 

I understand that Hyde is playing with a short deck, and God bless him, but within his limits he’s still making unsupportable decisions too often to earn another contract. 

Lol, catching defense.  Yes, that's why we're so bad.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

No he’s not.  

I have a beloved friend who is a wild eyed liberal. I’m pretty conservative. I hate fruitless debate and he loves it. He was best man at my wedding and we would happily die for each other but we don’t talk politics. Actually he talks politics and I smile and nod.

Every single time I see Hyde do something stupid in a game I mention it. Everything I mention as being foolish is arguably foolish. I’m not making stuff up because Hyde kicked my dog.

it’s obvious you disagree and that’s just fine. But I’m not creating fact out of fog, so why not just move along.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s posts like that where you just really shake your head.  But yea, Hyde is the problem.  lol. 

You can’t make this sh** up.

Agreed.  And then it's like....you've got 4 starters not named Means who aren't great.  And you need to relieve them with guys like Plutko and Armstrong.  

I dunno, I don't get mad at water for being wet. I

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol, catching defense.  Yes, that's why we're so bad.  

If we replaced the catchers the pitching would marginally improve but that’s not why I asked the question.

I asked the question because it is impossible that our catchers contribute to a positive defensive ranking and I was just asking @Frobby what the catching rank is.