Austin Wynns in Baltimore per Roch

rm5678

On 5/31/2021 at 12:19 AM, Philip said:

You can be honest without being rude, and I the players would respect it. If you say, “player X is not playing up to the standards that we require” Does anybody on the team, including player X himself, disagree with that? You haven’t been rude, you haven’t engaged in hyperbole or been insulting, you’re just being honest. Nobody in the clubhouse would have a problem with that, I think they would respect it. Don’t you think that those guys go home and tell their wives, “Man that shortstop of ours is terrible I wish they’d get rid of him,” or “I hate pitching with that second baseman behind me because he’s such a lousy glove.”

Hyde Needs to have the guts to be honest, and I think that he will get more respect if he does so.

I would hope Hyde is honest and frank with players. I would think a player who is not playing up to expectations is aware of Hyde’s views. 

Of course there is zero reason for him to share that view publicly. 

45 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I would hope Hyde is honest and frank with players. I would think a player who is not playing up to expectations is aware of Hyde’s views. 

Of course there is zero reason for him to share that view publicly. 

How does a guy know what the expectations are?

Is there a "minimum qualifications for this job" posted somewhere?  Something that says we need our right fielder to have, at minimum, a batting average of .260 with 30 home runs, and 85 RBI, X number of outfiled assists, and a fielding average of at least .985?  And similar requirements for each position?  I don't know how a player would know where he stands unless he has frequent frank conversations with his manager and coaches.  A player should know what his peers around the league are doing.  He can look up the stats as well as any of us can.  They know generally how they are performing, but they need clear direction and goals set by the staff.  This way, they are not caught off guard when they get sent down or DFA'd.

3 hours ago, Yossarian said:

How does a guy know what the expectations are?

Is there a "minimum qualifications for this job" posted somewhere?  Something that says we need our right fielder to have, at minimum, a batting average of .260 with 30 home runs, and 85 RBI, X number of outfiled assists, and a fielding average of at least .985?  And similar requirements for each position?  I don't know how a player would know where he stands unless he has frequent frank conversations with his manager and coaches.  A player should know what his peers around the league are doing.  He can look up the stats as well as any of us can.  They know generally how they are performing, but they need clear direction and goals set by the staff.  This way, they are not caught off guard when they get sent down or DFA'd.

That comes from the organization as it would in any job right?  No there are no minimum qualifications posted anywhere. But well run teams should have conversations in spring before the season begins that would layout expectations for the team as well as individuals.  Do the Orioles do that now?  I honestly do not know.

But my point above was simply that the Orioles nor any other team, do not need to publicly evaluate anyone.  Not that it doesn't happen, because it does.  But when it happens it is generally to reinforce something.  Mountcastle as you may recall was publicly evaluated by Buck at the end of spring training.

The bolded part above, should be occurring.  Again, that is why I said above I would think players know already where Hyde and the organization stands on their individual performance or lack thereof.