Moves I would like to see between now and July 31

Sports Guy

This year, the trade deadline is set for July 30.  Once the deadline has passed, I am hoping to see a team full of young players.

Move I would like to see, in no particular order:

Trades:

-Trade Mancini to the Brewers.  In return, we receive MI prospect Brice Turang and Aaron Ashby.  Move 2:  Nevin brought up after Mancini is dealt.

- Paul Fry and Anthony Santander to the Indians for Bryan Rocchio, Daniel Espino, Logan Allen.

- Galvis to the A's for Grant Holmes and Hogan Harris

I would explore deals for Means and Mullins, especially Means (I feel he would be worth more right now).    Not saying I would definitely trade either one but I think there are a lot of deals out there, again especially for Means, that would make me say yes.  I am assuming for now they stay though,

Releases/DFA:

- Matt Harvey

- Pedro Severino

- Pat Valaika

Recalls/promotions:

- J Jones (or Vavra, who I like more but is currently hurt and likely not moved up yet)

- Adley

- Lowther

- Nevin

- Diaz

- Leyba

-McKenna

Team:

C- Rutschman

1st- Mouncastle

2nd- Jones (I know he isn't likely to stay here but I would like to see him there first)

SS- Leyba

3rd- Franco (assuming he can't be dealt)

LF- Hays

CF- Mullins

RF- Diaz

DH- Nevin/Stewart

Bench: Wynns, McKenna, Wilkerson, Nevin/Stewart (whoever isn't starting that day)

Rotation: Means, Zimmerman (when healthy of course), Lowther, Kremer, Akin

Bullpen: Lopez (moved into high leverage situations), Scott, Susler (if not traded, guessing limited market and not moving him but not blocking anyone and pitching well enough to keep), Wells, Tate, Plutko, Valdez or MiLer/trade target.  Valdez could be another DFA guy.

Last spot is probably another pitcher, perhaps Alex Wells if he keeps pitching well. I could see them wanting another guy who can pitch 3+ innings.

I would also consider Bradish as a guy to come up and start and push one of the other starters into the pen.

• Upvote 4

I think a common trend with the Elias regime is you won’t see any players of promise in the big leagues without sustained competence at AAA. That philosophy was maybe de-prioritized because of the missed 2020 MiLB season but it sure looks like they’d like to get back to players showing dominance at every level before being promoted. Just don’t think you’ll see any players making the jump from AA to the majors while the MLB team isn’t competitive. And I wouldn’t expect anything more than a cup of coffee from Adley this season. Remember how much they stalled Mountcastle’s debut? Think along those lines for any of the near-ready prospects. That’s why you’re seeing the Eshelman’s and Jannis’s of the world. 

So need to see some legitimate, non SSS success in Norfolk from Lowther, Wells, Bradish, Kevin Smith, Bannon, Diaz, Jones, Nevin. Patience. 

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Galvis still has the seasonal edge, but Andrus has been solidly outplaying him for a month after the ice-cold start...I doubt Oakland sees him as a meaningful upgrade.   They are both like somewhere in the 28th-38th best SS this summer range.    In terms of softer aspects of Player-Club relations, I have no guess how much of a handshake covenant there might be when a Galvis-type guy takes a Baltimore-type job.   Of course win-win if the guy plays well enough to take Andrus' job, net a meaningful return and finish the season, but not sure if fairness dynamics different if his Buyer sees him as a 5th infielder.   Any of the other 29 teams that wanted him for that gig might have outbid us if Galvis himself wanted that kind of role.

I can see OAK as a Trevor Story darkhorse, continuing their tradition of intermittently renting for one run some wonderful player (2002 Durham, 2009 Holliday, 2014 Lester) they could never keep.

Fingers crossed for Fry's next 8 innings lest that one go poof too.

Mancini's July 31 team is the indicator that will tell us how Elias views 2022.

Seconded on basically all the DFA/Recall stuff!

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

How does Bannon look at 2B?  I think he's more of a utility player, but I would rather see him get some reps than Franco.  Are the O's worried about service time clocks on utility players now?

Bannon would be ok, but he has been out for a bit with an oblique injury caused during a swing. Still no word on any rehab games, so he is still going to be out for a while longer.

13 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

I think a common trend with the Elias regime is you won’t see any players of promise in the big leagues without sustained competence at AAA. That philosophy was maybe de-prioritized because of the missed 2020 MiLB season but it sure looks like they’d like to get back to players showing dominance at every level before being promoted. Just don’t think you’ll see any players making the jump from AA to the majors while the MLB team isn’t competitive. And I wouldn’t expect anything more than a cup of coffee from Adley this season. Remember how much they stalled Mountcastle’s debut? Think along those lines for any of the near-ready prospects. That’s why you’re seeing the Eshelman’s and Jannis’s of the world. 

So need to see some legitimate, non SSS success in Norfolk from Lowther, Wells, Bradish, Kevin Smith, Bannon, Diaz, Jones, Nevin. Patience. 

So you don't think he'd make the Machado move in a similar situation?

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

With all these moves, can’t we DFA Franco and find some other warm body for that spot?   He’s been terrible and I don’t like watching him play.  I’d rather have Rio Ruiz there to be honest.  

Wyatt Mathisen?

Naturally any time the Rays remove someone from their 40-man, the world must genuflect at their awesomeness.   We have waiver priority, and maybe he would tell us how they coach him.

Today Franco's line has a lot of the same stuff as 2020, except if in games 60-71 he would have gone like 5-for-40, which I am sure would never happen.    I liked the move and thought it sound for what the 2021 Orioles are, but agree not really any need to see a second half.

11 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Galvis still has the seasonal edge, but Andrus has been solidly outplaying him for a month after the ice-cold start...I doubt Oakland sees him as a meaningful upgrade.   They are both like somewhere in the 28th-38th best SS this summer range.    In terms of softer aspects of Player-Club relations, I have no guess how much of a handshake covenant there might be when a Galvis-type guy takes a Baltimore-type job.   Of course win-win if the guy plays well enough to take Andrus' job, net a meaningful return and finish the season, but not sure if fairness dynamics different if his Buyer sees him as a 5th infielder.   Any of the other 29 teams that wanted him for that gig might have outbid us if Galvis himself wanted that kind of role.

I can see OAK as a Trevor Story darkhorse, continuing their tradition of intermittently renting for one run some wonderful player (2002 Durham, 2009 Holliday, 2014 Lester) they could never keep.

Fingers crossed for Fry's next 8 innings lest that one go poof too.

Mancini's July 31 team is the indicator that will tell us how Elias views 2022.

Seconded on basically all the DFA/Recall stuff!

Fair enough..to be honest, I went down the list and saw that Oakland had the worst WAR of any team at SS and thought Galvis could be a cheap upgrade for them.

Agree with you about Story.

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

With all these moves, can’t we DFA Franco and find some other warm body for that spot?   He’s been terrible and I don’t like watching him play.  I’d rather have Rio Ruiz there to be honest.  

We can but I was running into the issue of who plays there?

We could keep Galvis for his defense and just put Leyba at 3rd.  I would be ok with that as I doubt Galvis is fetching us that much.  Still, not much is better than nothing, so trading him is still my preference.

But I can see logic behind keeping a steady option at SS to help the young guys too.

21 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

I don’t think we have any common threads yet because the sample size of how Elias May or may not do things is small, given that he has only had 1 full season and a part of this one.

And even if you have a rule, there are always exceptions to that rule.

11 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Cumberland over Adley.

Mason McCoy at some point, in place of Stevie. Maybe Bannon later in the year if he gets healthy and produces.

Zach Jarrett in place of Stewart if/when he gets hurt.

McCoy over Wilkerson is a good one.

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you don't think he'd make the Machado move in a similar situation?

I think he would. Rules and preferences go out the door when you have a quality product on the field that can win something meaningful. That was certainly a bold move and it wouldn’t have made much sense in 2011 or 2010. But none of those players I mentioned are Machado and this isn’t in 2012. Next year won’t be either. 

Edited by Matt Bennett

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

This year, the trade deadline is set for July 30.  Once the deadline has passed, I am hoping to see a team full of young players.

Move I would like to see, in no particular order:

Trades:

-Trade Mancini to the Brewers.  In return, we receive MI prospect Brice Turang and Aaron Ashby.  Move 2:  Nevin brought up after Mancini is dealt.

- Paul Fry and Anthony Santander to the Indians for Bryan Rocchio, Daniel Espino, Logan Allen.

I would explore deals for Means and Mullins, especially Means (I feel he would be worth more right now).    Not saying I would definitely trade either one but I think there are a lot of deals out there, again especially for Means, that would make me say yes.  I am assuming for now they stay though,

Releases/DFA:

- Matt Harvey

- Pedro Severino

- Pat Valaika

Recalls/promotions:

- J Jones (or Vavra, who I like more but is currently hurt and likely not moved up yet)

- Adley

- Lowther

- Nevin

- Diaz

- Leyba

-McKenna

Team:

C- Rutschman

1st- Mouncastle

2nd- Jones (I know he isn't likely to stay here but I would like to see him there first)

SS- Leyba

3rd- Franco (assuming he can't be dealt)

LF- Hays

CF- Mullins

RF- Diaz

DH- Nevin/Stewart

Bench: Wynns, McKenna, Wilkerson, Nevin/Stewart (whoever isn't starting that day)

Rotation: Means, Zimmerman (when healthy of course), Lowther, Kremer, Akin

Bullpen: Lopez (moved into high leverage situations), Scott, Susler (if not traded, guessing limited market and not moving him but not blocking anyone and pitching well enough to keep), Wells, Tate, Plutko, Valdez or MiLer/trade target.  Valdez could be another DFA guy.

Last spot is probably another pitcher, perhaps Alex Wells if he keeps pitching well. I could see them wanting another guy who can pitch 3+ innings.

I would also consider Bradish as a guy to come up and start and push one of the other starters into the pen.

Hard to argue with any of this.  I don't know a ton about those prospects so I don't know if the trades are "good," but overall, this makes sense.