Connolly: Trade Deadline thoughts

Sports Guy

58 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The Braves were playing Ozuna in left to start the year.  Ozuna stats showed him to be one of the worst outfielder in baseball lately so not like they think they need a good outfielder.  If Pache and Acuna are healthy they can cover up some ground for Trey.  I think he would be passable as an outfielder if you had two good outfielder that can help him out and cover some ground for him.

Yup.  Ozuna is an awful defensive OFer - and may never be back - depending on his off-field problems moreso than his injury.  Pache (and Waters) is in AAA trying to get his OPS over .700.  Braves are relying on journeymen right now in 2 of the OF positions.   

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

OK, forget the "year in and year out".   He did it once and he is pace to do it again.

He hit 30 homers once.   He’s not on pace to do it again.   He’s on pace to come close.   Hopefully he will do it.   

He’s never had 100 RBI.  He’s on pace to do so this year.  Hopefully that pace will continue.   

He’s never hit .300 though he’s hit over .290 twice.   He’s hitting .258 right now and is not likely to end up at .300.   

To me, what Bowden said is hyperbole and not accurate.   Mancini is a very good hitter.   Just not as good as Bowden stated.   

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He hit 30 homers once.   He’s not on pace to do it again.   He’s on pace to come close.   Hopefully he will do it.   

He’s never had 100 RBI.  He’s on pace to do so this year.  Hopefully that pace will continue.   

He’s never hit .300 though he’s hit over .290 twice.   He’s hitting .258 right now and is not likely to end up at .300.   

To me, what Bowden said is hyperbole and not accurate.   Mancini is a very good hitter.   Just not as good as Bowden stated.   

He’s on pace for 29/107..he hit 35 and drove in 97 in 2019.  I think you are taking that comment a little too literally.  If you hit 27-35 homers and drive in 95-105 runs, labeling you as a 30/100 guy is acceptable.  

The BA was a bit much but he did hit 291 and 293 in 2 of his first 3 full years.  

Mancini is at least the OF that Trumbo/Cruz were when they were on playoff contenders. We’re playing Mancini at 1B/DH because we have an opening there and we have 3-5 young OFs that we need to take a look at. 

Schoop wasn’t a SS but the Brewers traded for him and stuck him there for desperation offense. I think a contender will view Mancini as a LF for the rest of this season then reassess for next year. 

Mancini has more value than we think. Class act. Some contender experience. Great story. Most importantly a MOO bat in any lineup. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mancini is at least the OF that Trumbo/Cruz were when they were on playoff contenders. We’re playing Mancini at 1B/DH because we have an opening there and we have 3-5 young OFs that we need to take a look at. 

Schoop wasn’t a SS but the Brewers traded for him and stuck him there for desperation offense. I think a contender will view Mancini as a LF for the rest of this season then reassess for next year. 

Mancini has more value than we think. Class act. Some contender experience. Great story. Most importantly a MOO bat in any lineup. 

I have no illusions about Mancini’s defense, but I think there’s no way he’s not far superior than either of those bumbling incompetents.

I loved and love Cruz, but no way was he any kind of outfielder, and Trumbo’s nickname should’ve been “back up and play it on a hop.”

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Philip said:

I have no illusions about Mancini’s defense, but I think there’s no way he’s not far superior than either of those bumbling incompetents.

I loved and love Cruz, but no way was he any kind of outfielder, and Trumbo’s nickname should’ve been “back up and play it on a hop.”

Also I think Mancini is better than DJ Stewart in the outfield, where practically any fly ball turns into an adventure with DJ fielding. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s on pace for 29/107..he hit 35 and drove in 97 in 2019.  I think you are taking that comment a little too literally.  If you hit 27-35 homers and drive in 95-105 runs, labeling you as a 30/100 guy is acceptable.  

The BA was a bit much but he did hit 291 and 293 in 2 of his first 3 full years.  

Not for nothing, if he was on a better offensive team his numbers would be better.  His RBIs are up this year because of Mullins' success.  Mancini in NY or Boston or Houston or wherever would drive in 100 most years.

On 6/28/2021 at 12:50 PM, Yossarian said:

Also- the White Sox may be looking for some help at first base now.

Maybe we could get Gavin Sheets as a secondary piece.  It sounds like something the old Orioles would try to do.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

If you want to be that nitpicky thats fine.  I think any team trading for him would look at him as being in that  ball park.

Like with any trade from Elias, I think it will be tough to judge because he likes to get quantity and he likes to get players we don't really know much about. I'm not really worried about Trey's trade value. It is what it is. We'll get whatever it is Elias and the other GM deem is fair. Trey's a good player and other GMs know that. He's a quality bat. No one thinks he's a perennial All Star. It's like... there ARE other gradients that exist somewhere between scrub and Vlad Jr. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Also I think Mancini is better than DJ Stewart in the outfield, where practically any fly ball turns into an adventure with DJ fielding. 

I was hoping that Stewart was better, he seemed to be at least competent according to both baseball savant in the eye test, but I’m inclined to agree with you, I would love to send him away. But I still have no interest in Mountcastle in left field. He’s far worse than Stewart.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Except don't back up too far because he was also scared to death of the wall.

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Like with any trade from Elias, I think it will be tough to judge because he likes to get quantity and he likes to get players we don't really know much about. I'm not really worried about Trey's trade value. It is what it is. We'll get whatever it is Elias and the other GM deem is fair. Trey's a good player and other GMs know that. He's a quality bat. No one thinks he's a perennial All Star. It's like... there ARE other gradients that exist somewhere between scrub and Vlad Jr. 

The Orioles have shown that there is a gradient below scrub as well. 

Mancini is a guy that gives you a professional approach day in and day out.