2021 1st round pick (5): Colton Cowser - OF - (Junior) Sam Houston University

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

My Initial take:

Looks like Elias is going with someone who can move quickly through the minors and be able to get and produce at the major league level quickly. While scouting takes on Cowser are a bit all over the place, he's a three year producer even though his conference is not very strong. He appears to be a high OBP guy with some pop and speed and even if Mullins is still center, he would like real good in Camden Yards spacious left field. 

I’m very happy having corner outfielders who also have the chops to play a decent CF.   Like Hays.   Or Anderson/Finley/Devereaux.   

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Are we paying Cowser slot? I can’t really find any players that are over slots. 

It looks to me like we are:

-- probably going to pay Cowser slightly underslot
   -- probably be a bit underslot with the 3 college seniors
   -- going overslot on Creed Williams so he signs with us instead of going to TCU

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It looks to me like we are:

-- probably going to pay Cowser slightly underslot
   -- probably be a bit underslot with the 3 college seniors
   -- going overslot on Creed Williams so he signs with us instead of going to TCU

Yeah I noticed Creed looks like the overslot. Also seems like the two sophomores may take a little extra to sign. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

The Pirates have gone on to draft two guys with major conference football scholarship offers that they will have to pay overslot to get.   That might mitigate some of the criticism of them.

Yeah, I really was hoping for Lonnie White Jr

On 7/12/2021 at 6:33 PM, waroriole said:

Yeah I noticed Creed looks like the overslot. Also seems like the two sophomores may take a little extra to sign. 

I think Trimble and Rhodes are over slot as well, they both have some leverage. Trendon Craig will probably take a bit more as well. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Hopefully he is playing with Delmarva by next weekend. Shouldn't need to ramp up in the GCL like Adley did.

I don’t know, MurphDogg, he has not played since late May. It depends on what he has been doing since. Also, didn’t Adley get sick after signing? Mono, or something, I think. 

9 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I don’t know, MurphDogg, he has not played since late May. It depends on what he has been doing since. Also, didn’t Adley get sick after signing? Mono, or something, I think. 

Yep, the mono was supposedly why he needed to work himself back into game shape in Sarasota for a week.

I suppose Cowser could do the same since he hasn't played in six weeks, but with COVID intake procedures it probably doesn't make sense to join a team for a week like Adley did.

If he struggles for the first week it isn't a big deal. I'm not particularly concerned about how it might impact Delmarva's playoff chances.

55 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yep, the mono was supposedly why he needed to work himself back into game shape in Sarasota for a week.

I suppose Cowser could do the same since he hasn't played in six weeks, but with COVID intake procedures it probably doesn't make sense to join a team for a week like Adley did.

If he struggles for the first week it isn't a big deal. I'm not particularly concerned about how it might impact Delmarva's playoff chances.

I am inclined to agree. I wonder if being in Sarasota for a while might be something to do with the physical work up to get into playing shape. I don’t know if Delmarva is equipped that way. 

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Per Heyman, Cowser agreed to 4.9 million. 

Slot was 6.1 million. 

Which of you starts crowing first?

I’ll bite. That’s a high percentage of the slot value for the 5th overall pick.