2021 1st round pick (5): Colton Cowser - OF - (Junior) Sam Houston University

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I assume this is sarcasm(?), but just in case, this is pretty obviously not what I was saying.

I was merely responding to the claim that McKenna couldn't have an impact on a contending team. 

You don't draft for need in the MLB draft anyway, so any impact Cowser has on the MLB team's outfield situation is a question for 2-3 years down the road and a ton can change. A year ago, few would have thought that Cedric Mullins could have an impact on a contending team (or no more of an impact that I am suggesting McKenna could have). Things change.

I was replying to a user who was hinting we shouldn't have drafted Cowswer because we already have plenty of outfielders for the next contending window, and you are supporting his thesis.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

So the answer is no one.  There is no actual info or news or anything.  

Btw, I’m not saying this isn’t true or can’t be true but we have no actual info that says it is, so I think we can take it off the table.

I’m fine saying that he isn’t turning down 6-7M to play pro ball.

Ok, the Orioles passed on him, why did the other teams pass on somebody that was projected as a top 5 by some mock draft boards?

Take them out of the discussion, somebody  must have seen something or know something that we the gen public doesnt.

4 minutes ago, LTO's said:

This is not true in the slightest but I'm sure you know that. 

Everything I have seen say it is true.  He has been at or near the top of every list I can find.  What position player has been consistently rated higher than him over the last year?

2 minutes ago, Getz said:

I was replying to a user who was hinting we shouldn't have drafted Cowswer because we already have plenty of outfielders for the next contending window, and you are supporting his thesis.

You dont draft by needs or position. You draft for abilities.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Ok, the Orioles passed on him, why did the other teams pass on somebody that was projected as a top 5 by some mock draft boards?

Take them out of the discussion, somebody  must have seen something or know something that we the gen public doesnt.

Well, first of all, I don’t really care why other teams passed, at least in some ways.

By that I mean, sometimes teams are just dumb or poor at what they do.  Maybe they draft for need or they have a rigid no HS player at the top of the draft because of the higher risk.  Lots of factors at play here.

Now, where I do care is if there is some medical issue or some other off the field issue that could be a  problem. 

Ultimately, I care about why the Os don’t take a player.  I understood it last year and was good with it and still am. 

This one is tougher for me to understand.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, first of all, I don’t really care why other teams passed, at least in some ways.

By that I mean, sometimes teams are just dumb or poor at what they do.  Maybe they draft for need or they have a rigid no HS player at the top of the draft because of the higher risk.  Lots of factors at play here.

Now, where I do care is if there is some medical issue or some other off the field issue that could be a  problem. 

Ultimately, I care about why the Os don’t take a player.  I understood it last year and was good with it and still am. 

This one is tougher for me to understand.

I get that to an extent.

One team passes. maybe its money, or they are stupid, or just like the way the kid combs his hair.

But, when multiple orgs pass.

Are they all stupid, or, I wonder if their homework dug up something, we arent privy too.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Everything I have seen say it is true.  He has been at or near the top of every list I can find.  What position player has been consistently rated higher than him over the last year?

There are like 10 players who have been near the top of pretty much every list. The idea that there was even a consensus is inaccurate. The idea that Lawlar of all people was the player who was the "consensus" is even more inaccurate. I haven't seen him ranked above Mayer in a long time and his FV grades are in line with mostly everyone in the top 10. Yes, he and Rocker were at the top of the lists before the spring but so much has changed since then that's not relevant at all. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I get that to an extent.

One team passes. maybe its money, or they are stupid, or just like the way the kid combs his hair.

Are they all stupid, or, I wonder if their homework dug up something, we arent privy too.

Especially Boston. When someone like Chaim Bloom has 0 interest in a player, you raise your eyebrow. And any argument that they weren't interested in Lawlar because they wanted a college guy is invalidated by their selection of Mayer. I've said it before and I'll say it again, GMs don't get to where they are by following the BA and MLB Pipeline mock drafts. Not even close. 

56 minutes ago, John Gibson said:

Of course you can still go underslot with others but bottom line - having an extra 1.6m by picking 2nd instead of 5th allows a lot more aggressiveness.

I don't know how successful the strategy has been overall but I do think it's been successful for the places that Elias has been employed.  Correa under / McCullers over, Bregman under / Cameron over.    I don't think too many Astros fans are upset in retrospect with that draft approach that is very similar to what Elias is doing in Baltimore despite also having very high picks at the time.

Why does everyone always say Correa was an under slot guy?  He was highly regarded and happen to be available for under slot money but he wasnt truly an under slot guy.

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13173-keith-law-thinks-os-should-draft-correa/

Shoshana (Boston)

If you were the Orioles would you take Correa at #4? I have to admit the college pitching prospects have me feeling really underwhelmed

Klaw (12:13 PM)

Quite happily, yes. There's a good case to be made that Correa will end up the best player in this draft class.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, LTO's said:

There are like 10 players who have been near the top of pretty much every list. The idea that there was even a consensus is inaccurate. The idea that Lawlar of all people was the player who was the "consensus" is even more inaccurate. I haven't seen him ranked above Mayer in a long time and his FV grades are in line with mostly everyone in the top 10. Yes, he and Rocker were at the top of the lists before the spring but so much has changed since then that's not relevant at all. 

Well, I said position players and yes, I have seen Mayer above him recently.  But Lawlar has basically been #1 or #2, amongst position players, for over a year.

Show me the lists that don’t have him ranked that highly, amongst position players.  I have looked and can’t find them.

2 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Why does everyone always say Correa was an under slot guy?  He was highly regarded and happen to be available for under slot money but he wasnt truly an under slot guy.

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13173-keith-law-thinks-os-should-draft-correa/

Because they want to play into a bogus narrative.

12 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I get that to an extent.

Well, 2 teams took a pitcher, so maybe they valued a pitcher over a position player (the Os are the opposite).  The Pirates took a college guy who maybe they feel moves fast and they valued that.  And the Red Sox took the one position player who some had rated over Lawlar.  

Doss the fact that 24 teams passed on Trout invalidate his career?

Look, I agree with the premise you are speaking on here.  If he’s a top talent, why the fall?  But it happens quite often and let’s be honest, he didn’t fall that far.  Watson went all the way to 16th.  Now THaT tells me something.  That is a hell of a drop.

And btw, this is the same argument for Austin Martin last year.  Not like he went #3 or even #4.  

7 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Especially Boston. When someone like Chaim Bloom has 0 interest in a player, you raise your eyebrow. And any argument that they weren't interested in Lawlar because they wanted a college guy is invalidated by their selection of Mayer. I've said it before and I'll say it again, GMs don't get to where they are by following the BA and MLB Pipeline mock drafts. Not even close. 

Who said Bloom had zero interest in Lawlar?  Was that reported?