Potential Intl signing: Braylin Tavera

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

To put things into perspective, MLB Pipeline has Tavera has an overall 55. The same as Cowser. They have Arias as a 50, the same as Westburg. That would put Tavera as our #5 or #6 prospect. That would put Arias somewhere between #7 and #13. Those are pretty good signings. 

I think there’s serious grade inflation there.   International signings do not produce 22 55 FV prospects or 46 FV 50 prospects in a year.   I don’t follow MLB.com’s typical FV grades for drafted players very closely, so I don’t know how many 50/55 grades they slap on those guys.  I usually look at Fangraphs, which is a pretty stingy (and in my opinion, realistic) grader.  They grade Roderick Arias — the no. 1 guy on MLB.com’s list and no. 1 international amateur on their list — a 45+.    Our two guys don’t even show up in their top 50 international prospects (which includes 32 foreign amateurs and 18 foreign pro’s).   I’m not saying they are right about whether our two belong on the list, but it tells me it’s silly to grade these guys at 50/55 on any realistic scale.  
https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/international-players/summary?sort=-1,1&type=0

• Upvote 1

On 7/15/2021 at 12:20 PM, Moose Milligan said:

I just think the name is softer than puppy ****.

Kids 16 years old, I'm fine with giving him a million or two rather than some dumb FA that won't help move the needle.

Don’t worry they can make tougher by changing the pronunciation. Just think Sand-Tand-Aire!

MLB pipeline on Tavera:

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Run: 55 | Arm: 50 | Field: 50 | Overall: 55 

Tavera is one of the most well-rounded players in this year’s class so it’s no surprise he has a chance to be a five-tool player with above-average grades in the future.

At the plate, the lean and athletic teen shows a good approach and sound fundamentals with improving pitch recognition. He has a good feel for hitting. Like most prospects his age, Tavera’s swing is a work in progress, but he already has good bat-to-ball skills and emerging power that projects to be a plus tool. He can run now, and the run tool is also expected to be a plus tool if he continues to develop at a normal pace.

Tavera trains at the Zorilla Baseball Academy in the Dominican Republic. The Orioles are the favorite to sign him.

https://www.mlb.com/video/top-int-l-prospects-tavera-of?t=mlb-pipeline 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

2 signees in the top 50.  I guess that qualifies as "average".   We still aren't getting a top 5 or top 10 guy but we'll see if we can get that done next time.

I haven’t read this stuff closely enough to know: are there players in the top 10 who are not yet considered linked to a team? Or other guys in the top 50?

It does feel like we are making steady progress each year but still have a ways to go to reach the goal of being above average internationally.  

1 hour ago, sevastras said:

Here is some real video on Arias-https://www.mlb.com/video/top-int-l-prospects-arias-ss?t=mlb-pipeline

Hopefully it was just because it was windy or the pitcher was pitching slower than he is use to, but it looks to me like the kid has really slow hands and tries to lift the ball.

I try not to take too much from these videos because you have to remember they are like 14 and 15 years old in these videos most of the time. It was certainly not the quickest swing and he certainly is going for loft, but again, the team is probably going more off his EVs and other measurables. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I try not to take too much from these videos because you have to remember they like 14 and 15 years old in the videos most of the time. It was certainly not the quickest swing and he certainly is going for loft, but again, the team is probably going more off his EVs and other measurables. 

Good point, I guess most of the videos I watch they are in the 17-18 year old range.

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I haven’t read this stuff closely enough to know: are there players in the top 10 who are not yet considered linked to a team? Or other guys in the top 50?

All 50 have a "favored to sign with" team listed. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It does feel like we are making steady progress each year but still have a ways to go to reach the goal of being above average internationally.  

Somewhere in this thread is the fangraphs top 50 international players and they have players from the Asian leagues that are unsigned, but idk if count against the international slot system. 

Overall, I see us from having moved from dead last to average on the international front. Also, Elias did a nice job in trades acquiring guys from prior signee periods to make up for that. Heck, DD even got Yusniel Diaz in the Manny trade that was ranked #2 the year he was signed. 

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The fact that Diaz was the #2 international prospect the year he was signed might just be why Angelos chose not to participate in the madness.

The rules were very different then.   Now that there’s an allocation to each team, nobody can really lose their shirt.