Wednesday afternoon: Rubber match vs Tampa

SteveA

OK, Wells is at 68 pitches after four. You have to let him start another ending because he is a possible future piece and you’ve got to see what he can do.

But you’ve also got a have somebody ready to replace him quickly because 68 pitches Is a lot, especially because the tops of the innings are going by rather quickly.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

OK, Wells is at 68 pitches after four. You have to let him start another ending because he is a possible future piece and you’ve got to see what he can do.

But you’ve also got a have somebody ready to replace him quickly because 68 pitches Is a lot, especially because the tops of the innings are going by rather quickly.

Given how strong his last couple innings have been after the slightly rough start, I don't think we are at the "yank him if he gets in any kind of jam" stage yet.   You have to let him see if he can work out of something.

I mean, how much confidence do you have in Plutko or Eshelman at this point anyway? 

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Given how strong his last couple innings have been after the slightly rough start, I don't think we are at the "yank him if he gets in any kind of jam" stage yet.   You have to let him see if he can work out of something.

I mean, how much confidence do you have in Plutko or Eshelman at this point anyway? 

You definitely make a valid point, but as I said, we need to see what Wells can do, so we have to let him have at least another inning, but you should be ready. With his pitch count the way it is so far I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect him to start the sixth, so any reliever would be likely to replace him after this inning anyway, so getting them ready now Is no handicap.

Edited by Philip

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

That last one that Lowe fouled off was Wells' first 90+ pitch of the day.

And then he hit 90 again.   He knew Lowe might be his last batter so he was giving it all he had.

But the caught stealing ended the inning.

I think that's probably it for Wells.

Better than his previous game for us.   Probably better than what we would have gotten out of Akin today.

• Upvote 1