Elias addresses many burning questions

Frobby

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

What have you got against him playing some 1B?

Nothing really, if the bosses want him to learn 1B, that’s fine. I just find it curious and unnecessary. Having him play 1B as a rest from playing catcher is illogical. If you want to rest him, then have him play DH.

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

Sure but that happened after what a decade? 

In Bench’s case, he was playing some 1B/OF as early as age 22.   But of course there was no DH in the NL.   Piazza never played anywhere but C or DH (during inter league play) until age 34.   Mauer never played 1B until age 28 and by then he was missing a lot of games due to injuries.   

Still, I’m very happy with Rutschman getting some time at 1B at his age.   It’s always good to have multiple options when setting the lineup, and he’s reputed to be very good at 1B.

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In Bench’s case, he was playing some 1B/OF as early as age 22.   But of course there was no DH in the NL.   Piazza never played anywhere but C or DH (during inter league play) until age 34.   Mauer never played 1B until age 28 and by then he was missing a lot of games due to injuries.   

Still, I’m very happy with Rutschman getting some time at 1B at his age.   It’s always good to have multiple options when setting the lineup, and he’s reputed to be very good at 1B.

It’s not a big deal, so put down the pitchforks, I just mentioned it because I thought it was a little odd. If you want to rest a guy, DH him. If you want him to learn first base because he’s getting too old to catch regularly, fine, but when a guy is 22, there’s no hurry on that. 
Plus, at the moment we have no shortage of candidate for a first base and DH.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

It’s not a big deal, so put down the pitchforks, I just mentioned it because I thought it was a little odd. If you want to rest a guy, DH him. If you want him to learn first base because he’s getting too old to catch regularly, fine, but when a guy is 22, there’s no hurry on that. 
Plus, at the moment we have no shortage of candidate for a first base and DH.

That’s exactly it. AR is a C that would probably help right now at the ML level. Having him play first is a bonus. You don’t want to wait til he’s 30 and his knees are shot before trying him at first. Also if he DH’s and you need your back up C to come in and switch positions you lose that spot at DH. There’s no harm in having these players learning and succeed at different positions. Everything is a numbers game now so the more a guy can do the better off he is as a player for our big league team. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

That’s exactly it. AR is a C that would probably help right now at the ML level. Having him play first is a bonus. You don’t want to wait til he’s 30 and his knees are shot before trying him at first. Also if he DH’s and you need your back up C to come in and switch positions you lose that spot at DH. There’s no harm in having these players learning and succeed at different positions. Everything is a numbers game now so the more a guy can do the better off he is as a player for our big league team. 

Like I said, I don’t care either way, I just thought it was curious.