Rules question about ball boys/girls

Frobby

For the second time in a couple of weeks, an Orioles ball boy touched a fair ball that bounced in his direction tonight and the ball was ruled dead when he touched it.

Unlike the other incident, this ball literally came right at the ball boy’s chair. He barely had to move his glove to a spot maybe 18 inches under his lap.  He was mightily embarrassed when he realized his mistake.   The other incident was more egregious, though neither was good and the the ball boy/girl supervisor really needs to call a meeting and let all these kids know it’s an unacceptable mistake.  (I saw another ball boy/girl do this in a recent O’s road game, I believe).

That said, here’s my question.  Assume the kid jumps from his chair and the ball either rattles around under the chair or ricochets off one of the legs and back out.   In either instance, Is that a live ball?

I think the kid is supposed to try to move the chair to avoid those scenarios, but I’m still curious what the ruling would  be.  

By the way, a few innings later the same ball boy did a nice job of snagging a foul ball that had bounced off the side wall and was about to go into the field of play.   The fans sitting over there cheered him, something I doubt they would have done normally but they did it to, quite literally, “cheer him up” after his prior mistake.  Classy move.  

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I feel a little bad.

I booed the ball boy early in the game for not hustling to get a ball that ricocheted back into the field of play. I told him that he would never be a ball man. Then he interfered with a ball.

Bad night for him.

The RF ballboy who touched the ball two weeks ago had a bad day then too.  Let an easy one get past him into RF.  Then he fielded a ball and tried to throw it over the screen (which now extends past his spot) to fans.  And he didn't get it high enough and it bounced off the screen and came right back down to him.  Later in the game he made a routine play and got "sarcastic applause".

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Yes my mistake I thought those were eligible. They may be eligible after winter meetings. Manfred seems to like the idea of making more picks available for trade.
    • I always compare where we are in attendance to payroll. As it stands our attendance will be 19th in the league and payroll 22nd. The Twins are at 19th with 130 million dollar payroll which is 22 million higher than ours. I expect the Nats and Tigers to spend a little this offseason so that 130 million mark for 19th place may move closer to 140. Still gives this team 50-60 million to spend on either resigning guys or free agents.
    • Well, the changes to the flex plans this year led both me ($1200 plan) and my friend ($2500 plan) to not renew for next year. The decision to more severely limit playoff presale access and dramatically reduce the discount on food and drinks at the park just didn’t make it worth it to tie up that much money in advance. So, we’ll likely go to far fewer games next year. Given the press reports and online reaction, I have to think we weren’t alone in our decision making. 
    • Rivera and Soto are hitting.   Holliday and Mayo are not.
    • Holliday could fill the role of pinch runner that Mateo would fill. 
    • Yeah. I don’t get that either. SEA would win head to head tie with HOU and push HOU into WC race but it’s irrelevant if the loses don’t match.  
    • Regardless of how down I've been about their recent play, there's always been some hope. Getting some guys back in time for the post season will definitely help.    The way this team has been built requires a group effort. I mean,  Gunnar is a huge star, but the lineup when healthy can be competitive top to bottom. I'm not knocking NY here, but if you can eliminate Judge(almost impossible), you stand a chance vs them. I'm not implying that they will go on a deep run because we've seen how bad it can be, but simply saying that getting healthy and having a shot is the best we as fans could have hoped for with the way this season has gone.
  • Popular Contributors