I'm starting to think we are 4-5 years away from competing for real

kidrock

23 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Then you have teams like the 2014 Orioles who were Manny (who only played 82 games) and a bunch of pretty good players and they won 96 games.  It's not about how many stars you collect. 

Perhaps I worded poorly.  I meant that the support cast and depth is going to take time to build out.  Maybe Grayson and Adley become stars, but there is a lot of mid range talent that this team needs to develop/acquire.

5 hours ago, CarrRun49 said:

He's the future, ask @Explosivo.  All of these prospects are perfect and will fill every need we have! No failures, I am sure.

Never said that. I do believe that one bad month doesn’t define a player. Kid has done well in AAA. What I did say is you guys love to mire in pessimism. We will see him in September regardless. I am a believer in Henderson, hall, rutschman, smith, Baumann and Rodriguez. When you look at the talent we already have on the club (and we do have talent) we are not as far away as you guys believe. Just look at the draft. We went with college bats. Why do you think that is? 

Add in the injection of international talent we are now getting and the trades Elias has already brokered there will be many more names that emerge and come and help the club win. 

Edited by Explosivo

5 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Never said that. I do believe that one bad month doesn’t define a player. Kid has done well in AAA. What I did say is you guys love to mire in pessimism. We will see him in September regardless. I am a believer in Henderson, hall, rutschman, smith, Baumann and Rodriguez. When you look at the talent we already have on the club (and we do have talent) we are not as far away as you guys believe. Just look at the draft. We went with college bats. Why do you think that is? 

Add in the injection of international talent we are now getting and the trades Elias has already brokered there will be many more names that emerge and come and help the club win. 

Rosters only expand by 2 in September now.  I imagine most teams will bring up a 3rd C and an extra arm.    

19 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

We won't need to expand by more than two to see Jones if it comes to that.  Promote Jones, demote Leyba.  Then you still have two spots to expand the roster.

Leyba will be gone in a few days when Galvis comes off the IL.

On 7/28/2021 at 11:24 AM, kidrock said:

After reading through an article on who the Cubs may potentially trade away, I began to think that we are further away in the rebuild than I originally thought.  They have many decent to plus players who many think they are going to trade.  If they can't compete with a core of Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Kimbrel, Hendricks, Davies, Wisdom, it makes me feel like the O's are just so far away.

Maybe I am being foolish or dramatic, but look at St Louis, Wash DC, Atlanta, Philly, NYM.  All have much better rosters, yet they are all around 500.  The Braves weren't doing that great before Acuna got hurt from what I remember.

Am I off base here?

It's not about how many stars your teams has.  It's about quality players overall, youth, depth and balance.  That's how teams like the Rays and A's compete nearly every year.  Easier said than done -- but it is doable if your owners hire the right people and support them -- and give them something of a budget to work with.  I doubt any team is more than 5 years away from competing if the team has the right people running it.  Of course you need some luck too.  But if you believe you're more than 4-5 years away from competing then you probably always will be -- until you get the right ownership and front office combo to get the club on the right path.

16 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

It's not about how many stars your teams has.  It's about quality players overall, youth, depth and balance.  That's how teams like the Rays and A's compete nearly every year.  Easier said than done -- but it is doable if your owners hire the right people and support them -- and give them something of a budget to work with.  I doubt any team is more than 5 years away from competing if the team has the right people running it.  Of course you need some luck too.  But if you believe you're more than 4-5 years away from competing then you probably always will be -- until you get the right ownership and front office combo to get the club on the right path.

I think I worded it poorly.  My point was that it takes more than just Grayson and Adley to build a championship team.  Not only do we need those guys to pan out as stars, we need a ton of depth and mid-level talent.  But even acquiring that many stars is difficult.

Love the orioles.  But don't swallow their Kool-Aid.  After this draft I've sorta given up.  Yes at this pace it'll be years.  Unless there is more emphasis on pitchers and Toolsy high players.

Everything is relative to what the other teams do.  Picking 5th overall and with a Competitive Balance B pick they still didn't impress the folks like Baseball America, Keith Law, Bleacher Report, MLB.com. Folks who I believe are objective.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Rosters only expand by 2 in September now.  I imagine most teams will bring up a 3rd C and an extra arm.    

I think most teams will bring up two arms.  If rosters expanded by five they'd bring up five arms.  The appetite for pitchers has no limit.  If they did away with roster limits some teams would carry 50 pitchers and have them each pitch an inning a week.

26 minutes ago, waynebug said:

Love the orioles.  But don't swallow their Kool-Aid.  After this draft I've sorta given up.  Yes at this pace it'll be years.  Unless there is more emphasis on pitchers and Toolsy high players.

Everything is relative to what the other teams do.  Picking 5th overall and with a Competitive Balance B pick they still didn't impress the folks like Baseball America, Keith Law, Bleacher Report, MLB.com. Folks who I believe are objective.

That's exactly what we said at this point in 2011, except we had a worse farm system then along with a higher payroll and much more dead weight on the roster.  I'm sure you can find threads from 10 years ago wondering if it would be 2015 or 2018 when they break .500.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The team that is most concerning in the division for me is Toronto. They have quite a bit more talent than Baltimore, and as of the other day they were only 2 games over .500. This team is miles away from what they are putting on the field, and they're just average with the record.