What would it take for the Cubs to land B-Rob this year?

GotNitro

The Cubs' *perceived* weakness is the lack of a middle-of-the-order lefthanded bat.

Apparently the deal is, Lou isn't comfortable with the fact that in the 7th or 8th a manager like Torre can bring in a power righty like Broxton and blow right through the heart of the Cubs' order (Lee Ramirez Soto DeRosa). He wants to break those guys up with a lefty so the opposing manager has a tough decision to make regarding how he's going to use his bullpen in the later innings.

My response to that is, it didn't seem to be a big problem over the course of 162 regular season game, so why are we letting 3 crappy postseason games skew the perception.

That opinion notwithstanding, acquiring Roberts only, and pushing Soriano into the middle of the order actually exacerbates the problem I outlined.

I haven't heard much mention of Abreu. "Young and athletic" is the indicated priority, which most have taken to signal Hermida is the top target.

I agree about Hermida, but Scott might make sense in a platoon system with DeRosa and Johnson. He's not as "young and athletic" as Hermida, but he should be available at a decent price.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread just reminds me why I've got no interest in Roberts: he's dramatically overpriced by the O's and their fans.

If a reasonable deal is available for three or four of the expendable guys I mentioned (something that parallels the Rich Harden deal), then great.

Otherwise, forget it and engage the Marlins in talks for Hermida. Younger, cheaper, more years of control, more upside, and a better fit to the Cubs' needs. Or just sign a FA.

The Cubs aren't in a spot where they need to bend over and take it for one year of Brian Roberts.

I think this is the real key. I still don't see why the Cubs would bankrupt their farm system for one year of Roberts when they already have decent options at second base. Saying that, I think Roberts would be impact player in the NL, especially while playing half of his games in Wrigley Field.

From the Orioles perspective, I'm not sure we match up unless Vitters was involved in the deal and I'm not sure the Cubs would be smart to do that when they may be able to get Roberts the next year for just the contract.

I guess the real key to this is do the Cubs see Roberts as beiung the difference maker next year. If they do, then they should be willing to give up a package of Vitters, Veal, and Fontenot/Cendeno for him.

I agree about Hermida, but Scott might make sense in a platoon system with DeRosa and Johnson. He's not as "young and athletic" as Hermida, but he should be available at a decent price.

I surely wouldn't assume Luke Scott or anybody else MacPhail has to offer would be available at a decent price.

As a matter of fact the expectation I'd have is that the price would be high and the negotiations would be frustrating. How could it be anything else after last year?

That said, Scott would be an OK guy to target if a few better options all fall through.

I'd be very pessimistic about getting anything accomplished, though, and prepared to move onto the next option very quickly.

I think this is the real key. I still don't see why the Cubs would bankrupt their farm system for one year of Roberts when they already have decent options at second base. Saying that, I think Roberts would be impact player in the NL, especially while playing half of his games in Wrigley Field.

From the Orioles perspective, I'm not sure we match up unless Vitters was involved in the deal and I'm not sure the Cubs would be smart to do that when they may be able to get Roberts the next year for just the contract.

I guess the real key to this is do the Cubs see Roberts as beiung the difference maker next year. If they do, then they should be willing to give up a package of Vitters, Veal, and Fontenot/Cendeno for him.

I agree, unless Roberts expresses a willingness to sign an extension with the Cubs. Then a more rich deal would make sense for them.

The bottom line in all of this, despite what Dave, Tony or SG what to think, is how bad does HENDRY want BRob and to what level are the Cubs organization willing to go to get him?

Dave can say all he wants but how they don't need BRob, etc....and guess what, he is right.

But the Cubs didn't feel that way last year and they apparently don't feel that way this year...Hendry knows that AM is going to want a lot for BRob, so if he is willing to engage into talks about Roberts, then he knows he is going to have to pay a high price and if that is the case, Hendry must be ok with it...Now, he is obviously only going to be ok with it up to a certain point but it is certainly in the orioles best interest to see what that point is.

What we know is that the price for Roberts was too high last year, so something would have to give on one side or the other for there even to be a reason to discuss this.

Do you think MacPhail would ask for less for Roberts now?

Do you think Hendry would pay more for Roberts now?

I don't see MacPhail coming down, and I certainly don't see Hendry going up.

What we know is that the price for Roberts was too high last year, so something would have to give on one side or the other for there even to be a reason to discuss this.

You are correct, sir.

Again, not a good match.

You might be right about neither side budging, but Roberts should be worth less now with only 1 year left on his contract and he's 1 year older.

No interest in Hill, Cedeno or Veal.

Two pitchers with major control issues and a "meh" middle infielder.

If you think Fontenot can be a cheaper/younger/more years of control "poor man's" Roberts, much the same way Scott is kind of a poor man's Tejada, then the rest of the deal looks pretty similar to the rest of the Astros deal -- a bunch of guys with questionmarks that could boom or bust.

Of course, other than Vitters, the players that we would trade for(in all likelihood) sucked the big one this year as well.

So, Hendry may be more willing to part with guys who are bigger question marks now than they were last offseason.

It really comes down to Vitters IMO...Chances are, Hill and Pie don't have enough status anymore to net a top player like BRob.

Cedeno is still what he was.

If you think Fontenot can be a cheaper/younger/more years of control "poor man's" Roberts, much the same way Scott is kind of a poor man's Tejada, then the rest of the deal looks pretty similar to the rest of the Astros deal -- a bunch of guys with questionmarks that could boom or bust.

Agreed.

Just not real confident in either Hill or Veal, that's all.

Archived