LA Angels: Our only competition for Teixeira

My O's Face

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My prediction: Tex goes for 7/140. I think the O's get him. As long as they don't pay over 8/160, I'll be happy.

In all seriousness, what does it really matter to you (or anyone on here for that matter) whether the Orioles were to give him an extra year at 20 mil. I could care less if Angelos goes 8 years 200 mil as long as he gets him. Who else are we really trying to go after - more Kevin Millar, Jay Paytons, Paul Byrd types? We need a first baseman with a big bat. Teixera is probably more valuable to the Orioles than any team in baseball. WE don't need any more mediocre 32 year old free agent pickups. Just get Burnett and Teixera, and call it an offseason on the free agent market.

It is so critical that the O's sign this guy.

In all seriousness, what does it really matter to you (or anyone on here for that matter) whether the Orioles were to give him an extra year at 20 mil. I could care less if Angelos goes 8 years 200 mil as long as he gets him. Who else are we really trying to go after - more Kevin Millar, Jay Paytons, Paul Byrd types? We need a first baseman with a big bat. Teixera is probably more valuable to the Orioles than any team in baseball. WE don't need any more mediocre 32 year old free agent pickups. Just get Burnett and Teixera, and call it an offseason on the free agent market.

I'd have to agree. I'm a farm system guy, but if the Orioles won't pony up the dough in this instance, I don't know when they ever would.

I'd have to agree. I'm a farm system guy, but if the Orioles won't pony up the dough in this instance, I don't know when they ever would.

It goes without saying that the way to build a maintain a successful organization is throught the draft and the farm system. It just seems to me that the Orioles should stop focusing on multiple league average veterans that command 4 to 5 million dollar salaries each and should instead put all of their eggs into one basket for a proven superstar. It's not about quantity, it's all about quality. 1 great player means so much more than 4 average ones.

It goes without saying that the way to build a maintain a successful organization is throught the draft and the farm system. It just seems to me that the Orioles should stop focusing on multiple league average veterans that command 4 to 5 million dollar salaries each and should instead put all of their eggs into one basket for a proven superstar. It's not about quantity, it's all about quality. 1 great player means so much more than 4 average ones.

Yep...Think about guys like baez, Walker, Bradford, Millar, Mora, Payton...Add up all that money we committed to them..That is what, 70 million or so in total dollars? That is 3-3.5 years worth of Tex....What would you rather have?

I'm very bull on Tex. I want him. Like you, I think he's very important for this team. But ultimately I'm interesting in what's best for the club, and as good as Tex is, the club would be better off investing 200 million elsewhere. 160 is already overpaying, which I'm fine with, but you have to walk away at some point.

It is important to remember the fact that Tex's parents are still local. The chance to see their son play on an everyday basis again. They live what, 30 minute drive from the ball park??

If he were to sign in Boston, NY, or LA his folks would see him 6-9 games per year in B-more.

I think if the O's offer him anywhere near what Boston or LA does, he comes home.

He has the opprotunity to be the savior of the O's and go down in history with the likes of Cal, Brooks, Frank, Boog and Eddie. His presence in the lineup and his signing will make Baltimore a team worthy of free agents in 2011. (2010 class is poor)

I think in the end, with all the clamoring for him to come home with web sites, the trip to Baltimore to meet with the front office and the lure of home, it will all be overwhelming and he signs here!!

Come home Mark, I know you read this site!!

Ed in Alaska

Oh, replace "JTrea" with "Angelos," then.

What'd really drive JTrea bananas would be if we signed Millar for 1st base after losing Teixeira to the Sox. Phew, I think his head may explode.

If we re-sign Millar for anything, MacPhail should be fired.

I'm very bull on Tex. I want him. Like you, I think he's very important for this team. But ultimately I'm interesting in what's best for the club, and as good as Tex is, the club would be better off investing 200 million elsewhere. 160 is already overpaying, which I'm fine with, but you have to walk away at some point.

Where would we be better off spending that money though? Who or what would have more impact than Tex? We don't have trouble signing our draft picks. We should have plenty of money coming off the books in the next few years.

We need a first baseman and a big bat. The guy is from Baltimore and would be welcomed as a savior. He would immediately sell tickets and represent the start of a new era. We need to get this done and should be willing to do whatever it takes.

Archived