LA Angels: Our only competition for Teixeira

My O's Face

Seriously? In their inaugural season at the new park, their attendance ranked 19th in MLB at 29,000 per night. If they don't get some marquee names or an exciting young group of guys in the next couple of years, their attendance numbers could be ridiculously awful really quickly.

I agree with you. The frustration level here in DC is high, and the fan base doesn't have the loyalty of the Oriole fan base. Here is the Nats' attendance record:

2005: 2.73 mm

2006: 2.15 mm

2007: 1.94 mm

2008: 2.32 mm (new stadium)

I think you easily could see Nats' attendance drop below 2 million again this season if there isn't a competitive team on the field. By competitive, I mean a team that can win 70+ games.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with you. The frustration level here in DC is high, and the fan base doesn't have the loyalty of the Oriole fan base. Here is the Nats' attendance record:

2005: 2.73 mm

2006: 2.15 mm

2007: 1.94 mm

2008: 2.32 mm (new stadium)

I think you easily could see Nats' attendance drop below 2 million again this season if there isn't a competitive team on the field. By competitive, I mean a team that can win 70+ games.

The Nats problem is they built a new ballpark that has no appeal to anyone. Every other new stadium that has been built since OPACY has a unique appeal to it and makes me want to go see a game there. The Nats stadium is about an hour away from me, and I have NO desire to go there. So, in other words, the stadium alone is not enough to cover for a lousy performing Nationals team.

As Chris is pointing on in his thread, our biggest competition for Tex is the ourselves.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. If the Orioles want Tex, all we have to do is pay for him. Offer him the biggest deal and he's ours. If he goes somewhere else, it will be because the Orioles LET him go. And if that happens, they will be letting a lot of fans go with him.

The Nats problem is they built a new ballpark that has no appeal to anyone. Every other new stadium that has been built since OPACY has a unique appeal to it and makes me want to go see a game there. The Nats stadium is about an hour away from me, and I have NO desire to go there. So, in other words, the stadium alone is not enough to cover for a lousy performing Nationals team.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. If the Orioles want Tex, all we have to do is pay for him. Offer him the biggest deal and he's ours. If he goes somewhere else, it will be because the Orioles LET him go. And if that happens, they will be letting a lot of fans go with him.

I agree with your last paragraph to a point, Dip. I think if his price exceeds 23M a year and they let him go, we will be winners, not losers.

I agree with your last paragraph to a point, Dip. I think if his price exceeds 23M a year and they let him go, we will be winners, not losers.

Correct. There are some good reasons to be aggressive bidders for Tex, but there is a point of no return out there. We can debate where that point is, but there's definitely a point where the money required to sign Tex would be better spent elsewhere.

So, say we internally say 23 is the limit, and he signs in New York for 25. You REALLY think that 2 million dollar a year savings is worth him not playong here, AND playing FOR a division rival? My point is, when you are talking this much money, you are ALREADY overspending, so you can NOT lose him for another million or two dollars a year. 12 million over the course of 6 years is the same ammount we blew when we released Jay Gibbons last year. I'd say Tex is worth that.

So, say we internally say 23 is the limit, and he signs in New York for 25. You REALLY think that 2 million dollar a year savings is worth him not playong here, AND playing FOR a division rival? My point is, when you are talking this much money, you are ALREADY overspending, so you can NOT lose him for another million or two dollars a year. 12 million over the course of 6 years is the same ammount we blew when we released Jay Gibbons last year. I'd say Tex is worth that.

Well, I think you get into the territory where 25M dollars can get you more than what Tex will provide. I'd like to sign him, but there is no way I would give him A-Rod money, whether or not NY gives him that much, I would not try to match or exceed it. Hes a very good player, but we are not talking top 5 in the league and for him to be paid as such would be against our better judgment.

As Chris is pointing on in his thread, our biggest competition for Tex is the ourselves.

I'm not too sure about that. The Angels recently broke off negotiations for an extension with Guerrero saying "we are miles apart". Given his declining numbers and desire for a heafty pay increase I think the Angels want Tex more than they are letting on as they may now see him as the replacement bat for Vlad.

You have to draw a line somewhere. Let's say we could sign Dunn AND Sheets for $25 mm, or we could sign Tex for $25 mm. Then what?

Nationals | Team to make serious Teixeira offer

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 22:33:54 -0800

Dave Sheinin, of The Washington Post, reports the Washington Nationals plan to make a serious offer to free-agent 1B Mark Teixeira (Angels). The offer is believed to be over $100 million, perhaps as much as $150 million.

I wish the Nats would just shut up about Tex. I don't believe they are fully commited (gut feeling) as 150 isn't going to do it and they know it.

You have to draw a line somewhere. Let's say we could sign Dunn AND Sheets for $25 mm, or we could sign Tex for $25 mm. Then what?

If we could truly get Dunn and Sheets for that price, you do it. But its comparing apples and oranges. First, we could not get them both for 25 million. Second, I don't think either want to come here. Tex and Burnett has to be plan A, with your scenario as B. If we cannot land the big boys, then stick your money in your pocket because I don't want the lesser grade players.

If we could truly get Dunn and Sheets for that price, you do it. But its comparing apples and oranges. First, we could not get them both for 25 million. Second, I don't think either want to come here. Tex and Burnett has to be plan A, with your scenario as B. If we cannot land the big boys, then stick your money in your pocket because I don't want the lesser grade players.

I just think we have to be careful with "money is no object" thinking. Look at how the Angels are having to choose between Tex, Vlad and K-Rod. Every team has a limit on what they can spend, and overpaying for one player can result in the inability to attract or retain other talent. I'd hate to pay Tex so much that we can't keep Nick in the fold, for example. (I'm not suggesting that's likely, just something to keep in mind.)

Nationals | Team to make serious Teixeira offer

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 22:33:54 -0800

Dave Sheinin, of The Washington Post, reports the Washington Nationals plan to make a serious offer to free-agent 1B Mark Teixeira (Angels). The offer is believed to be over $100 million, perhaps as much as $150 million.

I wish the Nats would just shut up about Tex. I don't believe they are fully commited (gut feeling) as 150 isn't going to do it and they know it.

The Nats are seemingly as serious or more serious than any other team out there.

If their initial offer is 150 million dollars, that may knock out a lot of teams.

The one remaining hope I have is the fact that we did not select that stud first baseman in last year's draft. (his name eludes me at the moment). I am hoping there was a method to our madness other than "we took the best available guy" which I don't neccessarily think is true. Hopefully we passed knowing we'd go full bore after Tex. If not...may God have mercy on the souls of our FO.

The one remaining hope I have is the fact that we did not select that stud first baseman in last year's draft. (his name eludes me at the moment). I am hoping there was a method to our madness other than "we took the best available guy" which I don't neccessarily think is true. Hopefully we passed knowing we'd go full bore after Tex. If not...may God have mercy on the souls of our FO.

Yep, if we don't get Tex, passing on Smoak is going to be looked at as a colossal mistake...

Archived