LA Angels: Our only competition for Teixeira

My O's Face

The one remaining hope I have is the fact that we did not select that stud first baseman in last year's draft. (his name eludes me at the moment). I am hoping there was a method to our madness other than "we took the best available guy" which I don't neccessarily think is true. Hopefully we passed knowing we'd go full bore after Tex. If not...may God have mercy on the souls of our FO.

I seem to remember Tony stating that if they didn't draft Smoak (the guy you're thinking of), then they would probably make a big run at Tex.

Hopefully, that's the case, but I still say Tex signs with the Yankees.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, if we don't get Tex, passing on Smoak is going to be looked at as a colossal mistake...

Teix has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not drafting Matusz over Smoak was a colossal mistake. There is a small chance it could end up being a mistake. Several years from now we might say that if Matusz flames out and Smoak is ripping the cover off the ball. But if Matusz lives up to his potential Teix or no Teix the pick was a great one and not a colossal mistake.

I seem to remember Tony stating that if they didn't draft Smoak (the guy you're thinking of), then they would probably make a big run at Tex.

Hopefully, that's the case, but I still say Tex signs with the Yankees.

If I had to predict, I think the order of likely destinations is

1. Boston

2. New York

3. Washington (if there is any truth to the rumor of an inital 150m offer)

4. Baltimore

There sure is a lot of Tex fever in Baltimore. Throwing out numbers like 8/180 means you had better hope those youngsters will be developing because future free agents might be off limits. If I'm sure Markakis, I would wait for Tex to sign and use those numbers to negotiate an extension.

There sure is a lot of Tex fever in Baltimore. Throwing out numbers like 8/180 means you had better hope those youngsters will be developing because future free agents might be off limits. If I'm sure Markakis, I would wait for Tex to sign and use those numbers to negotiate an extension.

Markakis is a totally different situation.

The next 3 years are controlled(arbitration years)...they aren't FA years.

Markakis is a totally different situation.

The next 3 years are controlled(arbitration years)...they aren't FA years.

I think his point was that Markakis will see that the O's are willing to pay a top free agent $20 mm+ per season, and decide that he'd be foolish to sign away a couple of free agent seasons at $12-15 mm. Granted, Nick has not yet hit at quite the same level Tex has.

I think his point was that Markakis will see that the O's are willing to pay a top free agent $20 mm+ per season, and decide that he'd be foolish to sign away a couple of free agent seasons at $12-15 mm. Granted, Nick has not yet hit at quite the same level Tex has.

My point exactly. He hasn't yet hit the same level as Tex has, but Tex hasn't hit the same level as ARod and yet you're paying him like he has. Markakis will note the similarities when he looks to extend.

Archived