LA Angels: Our only competition for Teixeira

My O's Face

1. The Yankess are pretty much out of it since aquiring Swisher.

2. I believe the Red Sox have a little interest in Tex, but will not offer him nearly as much as the Orioles or the Angels. The Red Sox would like to trade Lowell to make room for Tex, but that may not happen. The real reason they won't get into a bidding war is because their #1 prospect is a 1st basemen, and is only a year or so away from being "Ready". Lars Anderson will be their 2010 opening day 1st basemen.

3. That leaves LA. They'd love to keep him, but they have Vlad and Figgins to resign. And I believe that they would much rather trade some of those prospects that they have no room for to get a 1st Basemen vs. paying Tex $150 million.

So, when the smoke clears, I believe Teixeira signs with the Orioles. Angelos will beat any offer to get him. And when you have Boras as an agent, you only have one agenda... Money.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll believe the Yankees are out of it when he signs elsewhere.

You did read where Boras had to eliminate teams from the bidding because there were "too many to negotiate with, right?"

There is no such thing as too much demand for a product someone is selling. I garauntee 100% that line from Boras is an attempt to increase demand further.

I would say there will be 3-4 finalists. There always are. Angels, O's, Giants or Nats (prob not both), always the possibility of a mystery team.

I truly don't think the Yankees are in it. They have other priorities and will spend their $$ on pitching. The Red Sox will be in it if some idiotic team trades for Lowell. So at least our competition won't include those 2 teams most likely, but there will always be competition.

You did read where Boras had to eliminate teams from the bidding because there were "too many to negotiate with, right?"

I took that as Boras just doing what he does best. There may be quite a bit of interest out there for Tex, but it doesn't seem like the strongest interest will be coming from New York or Boston which makes the potential of the offers getting out of the O's range less than if it were otherwise. Even Yankee fans think they're out on this one.

From an article at nyyfans.net (Yankees version of OH)

http://www.nyyfans.com/article/8943/

The big question is whether Swisher is here to play 1B or OF. Although his versatility is a virtue, Cashman indicated to reporters that “the plan” is to put Nick at 1B. Joe Girardi also reiterated on the YES Hot Stove Show that Swisher will play first. That means that Mark Texeira will most likely not be coming to the Yanks. The move also puts to rest the delusional notion that some people have that Juan Miranda would start or platoon at 1st base in 2009.

And they're not too hung up about it either.

That’s just as well. You can now expect the Yanks to go full-court press on CC Sabathia and either Derek Lowe or A.J. Burnett. If Cashman learned anything in 2007, it is that you can’t have the likes of Darrell Rasner and Sir Sid be 40% of your rotation. Those days, thankfully for Yankee fans, are over.

Whether MacPhail is as serious about getting Tex as a lot want him to be remains to be seen, but you have to like position the O's are in right now.

Boras is full of sh--. He nearly botched A-Rod's career in NY until A-Rod patched things up with the Yankees minus Boras's help. If he's not careful he'll do the same thing with Teixeira. Teixeira has to be careful of Boras's incompetence.

That said, I really doubt the Angels are the only competition for Teixeira.

The only way the Oriole media and fanbase knows that the team is in on Tex is if and when Tex signs with the Orioles.

I know the warehouse is pretty tight-lipped these days. But if Orioles make an offer, I assume we'll hear about it through the Boras camp.

Archived