Offseason trade target: David Price

Sports Guy

On 10/22/2021 at 12:24 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said: 

Stroman is younger than Price and Greinke and I'd think be a safer gamble. There is always going to be risk acquiring a pitcher, but if the O's do plan to be competitive in 2023-25, then I don't see how it happens without acquiring any starting pitchers. 

Of course we are all playing with house money here in the hangout so the operative word certainly is “gamble”.    

The Orioles are not yet in the position to “gamble” 4 years / $90 million+ on Stroman.   Stroman is the type of guy you pick up on an expiring contract just before the deadline to help you in a final push into the playoffs.  He’s the kind of pitcher who hopefully becomes your #1A to the #1 already on staff.

David Price OTOH is a $8 million “crap shoot” to relieve a current contender of some payroll.   We hope for someone to fill the #3 or #4 rotation slot with a pedigree, some star power, an ability to eat some innings, some mentoring skills and maybe some return at the 2022 deadline.  (BTW my $8 million figure is based upon the Dodgers paying half of what they owe on Price.)

2 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

Of course we are all playing with house money here in the hangout so the operative word certainly is “gamble”.    

The Orioles are not yet in the position to “gamble” 4 years / $90 million+ on Stroman.   Stroman is the type of guy you pick up on an expiring contract just before the deadline to help you in a final push into the playoffs.  He’s the kind of pitcher who hopefully becomes your #1A to the #1 already on staff.

David Price OTOH is a $8 million “crap shoot” to relieve a current contender of some payroll.   We hope for someone to fill the #3 or #4 rotation slot with a pedigree, some star power, an ability to eat some innings, some mentoring skills and maybe some return at the 2022 deadline.  (BTW my $8 million figure is based upon the Dodgers paying half of what they owe on Price.)

Yes, because the Dodgers really seem to care about their payroll.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them exceed $300 million next year if the Bauer contract isn't cancelled. 

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yes, because the Dodgers really seem to care about their payroll.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them exceed $300 million next year if the Bauer contract isn't cancelled. 

Well it’s true the O’s and the Dodgers play in different realities not just different leagues?!  Just figure Dodgers might seek something for someone they aren’t even using at this point.