The worst part of this year:

doccat

5 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

He's on pace to hit 25+ HR w/90+ RBI while moving among three different positions during what essentially amounts to his rookie year, and that's a disappointment? He's not an outfielder; I don't think that was ever in question. 

On its own, though, 25 HR and 90 RBI doesn’t mean much these days, especially from a 1B / LF type with defensive deficiencies. In 35 games last year he had 0.8 WAR. In 100 games this year it’s 0.3 WAR. I would call that a mild disappointment as well. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Losing Hall, Vavra and Jjerstad for most or all of the season is probably 3 of the top 10 prospects, so year, I'd say they took a hit.

What was Vavra's injury and the prognosis? And what is supposed to be his best position?

2 hours ago, doccat said:

Is seeing all the guys fail who I had hoped might be useful guys for the next competitive team.

Keegan Akin

Zac Lowther

Alex Wells

Dean Kremer

Yusniel Diaz

and seeing injuries/misfortune rob guys of development and experience and opportunity:

Heston Kjerstad

Austin Hays/Anthony Santander

Terrin Vavra

DL Hall

Anthony Servideo

Rylan Bannon

I think DJ Stewart and M. Franco have been significant disappointments as well. I was hoping for a lot more.

2 hours ago, doccat said:

Is seeing all the guys fail who I had hoped might be useful guys for the next competitive team.

Keegan Akin

Zac Lowther

Alex Wells

Dean Kremer

Yusniel Diaz

and seeing injuries/misfortune rob guys of development and experience and opportunity:

Heston Kjerstad

Austin Hays/Anthony Santander

Terrin Vavra

DL Hall

Anthony Servideo

Rylan Bannon

And Carter Baumler…

11 minutes ago, LA2 said:

What was Vavra's injury and the prognosis? And what is supposed to be his best position?

Back strain supposedly but he had back issues in the early part of his college career as well I believe. Second base is his best position overall but they were trying him in center.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

For sure. I would add Adam Hall, too, considering he's the #11 prospect. Yikes. But these guys all have time to still contribute to a good Orioles team. And, there are nuggets of goodness to be found this season:

Mullins
Mountcastle
Means
Mancini
Urias
T. Wells
G-Rod
Stowers
Westburg
Adley
Baumann
Zimmermann
Sulser

At least so far, I think you can also call Watkins at least a hope for success. He may blow up tomorrow, But at the moment I would call him a plus.

Baumler and DJ were good adds on page 3 here.  Hunter Harvey, for the few who had any hope left, is on the big list of disappointments, too.  Certainly been more negatives than positives this season, thus the growing angst among the OH fan base, despite almost unanimous want of a massive rebuild.

2 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

On its own, though, 25 HR and 90 RBI doesn’t mean much these days, especially from a 1B / LF type with defensive deficiencies. In 35 games last year he had 0.8 WAR. In 100 games this year it’s 0.3 WAR. I would call that a mild disappointment as well. 

Mark Trumbo had historically bad WAR with 47 HRs because his defense was so awful. MC is better(and God be praised) because he was moved to DH/1B. He will get ROY votes, so he’s doing ok.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say Mountcastle's season has been a mild disappointment to date.  He's well and proven he can't play in the outfield at an acceptable level and he's had large stretches in which his bat hasn't been much of an asset.

Only if you ever foolishly believed he would end up in the outfield.

I'm fine with his season.  Let's see how he ends it, but the walk rate has grown into an acceptable rate, and he has + hit and power tools.  He's going to hit.  He's shown that this year.

At some point people have to realize players don’t play entire seasons anymore.  You are going to have a lot of guys that get injured and miss some time throughout the season.  I believe they said there was 40 pitchers on pace to pitch in 30 games so about 1.5 per team.  That is little lower the usual but not by a giant number.  The same thing with position players in today’s game, just look through the injury list on teams and see how many guys are out and a good amount for a long period.  

6 hours ago, Gentile4 said:

He's on pace to hit 25+ HR w/90+ RBI while moving among three different positions during what essentially amounts to his rookie year, and that's a disappointment? He's not an outfielder; I don't think that was ever in question. 

Mountcastle's season has had some ups and downs.  With as slowly as he started, it's good to see that he could hit those numbers if he finishes strong.  

I was pleasantly surprised by his walk rate last year when he came up, it looked like his patience at the plate improved.  IIRC, that hasn't continued to improve, it looks like its regressed.

I don't particularly care about the defense as he was never advertised as a particularly good defender, although I think he could be an adequate first baseman.  

His season isn't an outright disappointment in the way the pitchers have been but I wouldn't put it in the positive column necessarily, he's somewhere in between.  On one hand, it's nice to see that he's fought back from a terrible start...on the other, he's not really improved his hitting all that much.

Anyway, I agree that the pitching has been the absolute worst part of the year.  IMO, Kremer is the biggest disappointment.  I had low expectations for Akin but I didn't expect him to absolutely **** the bed like he has.  

Hays, Santander, Hunter Harvey, etc.  These guys are always hurt and you can't get mad at water for being wet.  I wouldn't call them disappointments, it's just expected at this point.  Kjerstad's situation is just sad more than anything.