Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Looks like MurphDogg was first!

There were good times before the bad times. I don't like him though even if I do have fond memories of him turning around a high fastball from David Price and taking it out to left center field.

He was. I tried to delete my threads but failed. People commenting on both. Need to be combined. 

I'm sure news of the payout will come at some point. Hopefully it isn't a Bobby Bonilla situation where they are paying him for the next 40 years, but I can't imagine that they have the financial flexibility to pay him immediately.

Nice to clear the 40-man roster spot over the off-season while sparing him the ignominy of releasing him.

I wonder if it is a simple as still paying him at the same rate and frequency next year that he would have been paid if he was on the 60-man IL. 

I would be surprised if he will not ultimately get what he would have made next season, but we will find out soon enough I suspect. If he were to leave money on the table I imagine it would smooth ruffled feathers with the fans and help his long term reputation if he wants to have an ambassador type role with the club or not get jeered when he is inducted into the Orioles Hall of Fame, but he is under no obligation to do so.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

He was. I tried to delete my threads but failed. People commenting on both. Need to be combined. 

Even though I was first, I tried to delete mine after people commented on yours, but the first reply snuck in before I was able to. Oh well. 

I do think the thread title deserves the exclamation point though!

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Even though I was first, I tried to delete mine after people commented on yours, but the first reply snuck in before I was able to. Oh well. 

I do think the thread title deserves the exclamation point though!

Sure!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

The big contract turned out to be a predictable disaster, of course, but he was a blast to watch in his good years. Some of his bombs are on my list of favorite O's memories, and who can forget the pitching performance in Fenway? I won't have much difficulty remembering the good over the bad.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I'm sure news of the payout will come at some point. Hopefully it isn't a Bobby Bonilla situation where they are paying him for the next 40 years, but I can't imagine that they have the financial flexibility to pay him immediately.

Nice to clear the 40-man roster spot over the off-season while sparing him the ignominy of releasing him.

I wonder if it is a simple as still paying him at the same rate and frequency next year that he would have been paid if he was on the 60-man IL. 

I can't imagine he gave back any significant amount of money.

Do we know there is a payout?  Through now he's been paid something like $164M, the O's still owe him $30ish plus deferred payments.  But if he just retired he forfeits the $30M.