Santander in August

Sports Guy

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Relievers are the hot commodity as well.   The fact that Fry did not get dealt says just as much as Mancini.    We can both guess but my guess is that they didn't want to trade just to trade.   They weren't happy with the offers.   I admit, they may have been looking for an overpay on Mancini because of a potential PR hit trading a cancer survivor in the middle of a comeback player of the year season.   I don't think that will hinder them in the offseason.

Let me get this straight. He wins Comeback Player of the Year and then they trade hiim. How does that work from a PR standpoint?

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Let me get this straight. He wins Comeback Player of the Year and then they trade hiim. How does that work from a PR standpoint?

Better than trading him before he gets it and still in the middle of his first season coming back from cancer.   It still might not sit well with some fans but trading him after the season is less of a PR hit in my book.    

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

People will get over it.  They will really  get over it if you really improve the team and use the money saved on Trey for bigger needs.

If Elias does the poor job he has been doing at addressing the ML team and you trade Trey, that makes it worse.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Santander has obviously had a tough year, with his bad ankle being a big reason why.

But he is hitting the ball well this month.

His OPS for August is well over 1.000 And his overall OPS is up nearly 100 points this month, up to 742.

He still has an outside shot at putting up an 800 OPS for the season if he can continue to end on a high note.  

Whether or not the team looks to trade him or not, im glad to see him finish strong as I would rather not see them non tender him and I do think that there was/is a chance they do that.  A strong finish should negate that thought.  

Yup, great to see.  He has been one of my favorite players since 2019.  At the end of the day, I would still trade him, but he obviously needs to perform well for it to be worthwhile to deal him. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Does this organization care about public perceptions of what it does? Has it done anything positive in the way in PR, besides having bobblehead nights and deals on tickets (building attendance up to 26th of 29 in MLB -- can't count Toronto). I think the answer is no.

And why wouldn't a bad major-league sports team care about creating positive PR? Maybe because the team is going to be sold after the occurrence of an event that is important to the owners for tax reasons?

I am sorry for Trey we didn't find him a good team if we are punting 2022 also, but I think in his and Aguilar's cases GM's hoping for National League DH may have contributed to holding.

Some career marks for RBI guys older and younger:

1.5.1990 CJ Cron, 3000 PA, 114 OPS+, playing 2021 for Maikel Franco money

6.30.1990 Jesus Aguilar, 2000 PA, 113 OPS+, 2021 Arb2 = 4.35M

3.18.1992 Trey Mancini, 2500 PA, 117 OPS+, 2021 Arb2 = 4.75M

3.5.1993 Kyle Schwarber, 2500 PA, 118 OPS+, 2021 non-tender, FA contract of 1/10, or 2/18.5

10.19.1994 Anthony Santander, 1000 PA, 101 OPS+, 2021 Arb1 = 2.1M, Rule 5 = LOTS of service time, LITTLE experience

Santander career OPS+ goes to 108 if you throw out first two years, when arguably he "belonged" in AA/AAA.

The trade return on Schwarber, World Series champion and nearly Kjerstad's pedigree, was Aldo Ramirez, ranked #12 on MLB's new Nationals list.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

They may DFA Severino to not pay him what he would get in arbitration.  But they might resign him.   As was pointed out to me on the OH, back up catchers with some pop are not easy to come back.  I think they want Adley to C/1B  to keep his bat in the lineup.   So the backup catcher could catch 60-70 games.   Severino currently has a 795 OPS vs lefties. If Hyde is selective with when Severino plays, it could work.

No.  No.  Nooooo.  Don't want to see him again in an Orioles uniform in ANY capacity.  Not a starter, not as backup,  pinch hitter, anything.  He's terrible behind the plate,  he shouldn't play 6-7 games back there,  much less 60 to 70.  The bat is ok sometimes, but not enough to offset the embarrassment behind the plate. 

8 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Back to Santander - 1.131 OPS in August for 20 games.  75 at bats and only 2 walks.  So, yes - that means he must have a high batting average - .360.  

OPS all the way up to .764 — it’s amazing how quickly he did that.  

7 hours ago, forphase1 said:

Man when he's healthy and on he can really be a threat with the bat.   If I'm the O's I just don't know what to do with him.   That lightening in a bottle of a full season of a healthy and on Santander is so tempting to keep around.   

Honestly, I probably keep him. I don't think the trade market would be there for a injury-prone corner outfielder to make it worth giving him up. I would go in with Hays, Mullins and Santander next year. McKenna can be the 4th OF. And then when guys like Cowser, Kjerstad (if he ever gets on the field), Haskins, Stowers, etc. are ready, we can look to flip him. If he can put together a full season (or even most of a full season) of what he did in 2020 and what he's doing now, that would vastly increase his trade value. 

8 hours ago, forphase1 said:

Man when he's healthy and on he can really be a threat with the bat.   If I'm the O's I just don't know what to do with him.   That lightening in a bottle of a full season of a healthy and on Santander is so tempting to keep around.   

What's the doubt? Keep him, for sure. He's our best outfielder after Mullins.