The Marauding Delmarva Offense

Frobby

I keep looking at their box score and I have to adjust my reading glasses every time I see the score.  This is more impressive doing this on the road against a good Carolina team.  I am thinking some of these guys may end up in Delmarva for this season but may start next season in Aberdeen right away.  

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think my choice of “marauding” in the thread title is proving deadly accurate.    I’ve never seen anything like this.   This draft class is looking awfully damned impressive.   

Doubters of Elias' draft strategy aren't looking too bright.  Could have a nice surplus of MI/OF prospects by next year.  Good problem to have.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Sorry, are we ever allowed to be excited as O's fans, or do we have to stay in a perpetual, non stressed catatonic state?

Being excited is great.  Labeling this as a successful draft class and one that no one should question, when no one is above low A ball, is a bit much.

I believe that is what CoC is saying.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Being excited is great.  Labeling this as a successful draft class and one that no one should question, when no one is above low A ball, is a bit much.

I believe that is what CoC is saying.

I get it, a lot of these guys are going to fail before they get to the majors.  Its just exciting to see most of this year's class be successful right away.  Next year would be a better time to evaluate them, no doubt. 

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I get it, a lot of these guys are going to fail before they get to the majors.  Its just exciting to see most of this year's class be successful right away.  Next year would be a better time to evaluate them, no doubt. 

So you might want to wait a bit before calling out other posters?

Let's just say that it's a pleasure to see almost everyone in the draft class get off to good starts.   It's a different guy each day.  One day it's Rhodes, next days it's Cook, and then you've got Cowser and Norby being pretty steady all along.    It's also a pleasure to see a guy like Mayo, who no one had heard of on draft day, looking so impressive so far.   It will take years to fully evaluate these first three drafts but what I have seen so far, is very few "wasted" picks where you think to yourself "what did they ever see in this guy?".

I think the two "weakest" picks I've seen so far were the  pitchers in the 8th and 9th round of the first draft, McLarty and Gillispie but even those two have shown glimpses of effectiveness at Aberdeen and those are not exactly high picks.

Hard to find a top 10 pick that looks like a total washout.

7 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yep and remember, perhaps the biggest cog in that lineup, Mayo, wasn't in this year's draft class.

When you look at the stats of those drafted this year, guys like Cowser and Norby are doing exactly what you would expect IMO.  They were advertised as advanced bats, they are playing in a league that is likely below their talent level and age and they are performing at a high level.  

Cook's OPS jumped a lot after his game yesterday and Teter has seen his jump a lot over his last few games.  A lot of others have very modest stats (stats that won't look good in a tough hitters park in Aberdeen) but, like someone said earlier, its just different guys producing every day although it does seem to me that Norby, Cowser and Mayo are consistently in the middle of it...either getting on base multiple times a game, driving in runs, etc..The lineup as a whole is absurd but when you break it down individually, there are only so many guys excelling at a high level.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Let's just say that it's a pleasure to see almost everyone in the draft class get off to good starts.   It's a different guy each day.  One day it's Rhodes, next days it's Cook, and then you've got Cowser and Norby being pretty steady all along.    It's also a pleasure to see a guy like Mayo, who no one had heard of on draft day, looking so impressive so far.   It will take years to fully evaluate these first three drafts but what I have seen so far, is very few "wasted" picks where you think to yourself "what did they ever see in this guy?".

I think the two "weakest" picks I've seen so far were the  pitchers in the 8th and 9th round of the first draft, McLarty and Gillispie but even those two have shown glimpses of effectiveness at Aberdeen and those are not exactly high picks.

Hard to find a top 10 pick that looks like a total washout.

This is how I look at it.   It’s nice to see everyone looking worthy in the early going, and it sets up 2022 to have a lot of strong competitition down on the farm.   So, it’s a very positive scenario with this draft class (and Mayo) to date.   We all understand there’s miles to go for these guys.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep and remember, perhaps the biggest cog in that lineup, Mayo, wasn't in this year's draft class.

When you look at the stats of those drafted this year, guys like Cowser and Norby are doing exactly what you would expect IMO.  They were advertised as advanced bats, they are playing in a league that is likely below their talent level and age and they are performing at a high level.  

Cook's OPS jumped a lot after his game yesterday and Teter has seen his jump a lot over his last few games.  A lot of others have very modest stats (stats that won't look good in a tough hitters park in Aberdeen) but, like someone said earlier, its just different guys producing every day although it does seem to me that Norby, Cowser and Mayo are consistently in the middle of it...either getting on base multiple times a game, driving in runs, etc..The lineup as a whole is absurd but when you break it down individually, there are only so many guys excelling at a high level.

Keep this in mind though.  We've had high picks like Grenier and Stowers start in rookie ball, a level below Delmarva and hardly set the world on fire in their first half season.  So even if you say low A is watered down a bit, Teter, Rhodes, Burns, Cook, William's, etc., are doing well. Every 2021 draftee is at least holding their own, if not better.  It's not expected for all of them to be doing well.  It's nice.   A lot of us are enjoying it for what it is.  It seems like others are not.  Oh well.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In the Low -A East Delmarva is currently 61-46.  That is the fifth best record out of 12 teams.  They are second in the league in run differential (+148).  Tampa's affiliate is just brutalizing teams, they are 76-31 with a run differential of 239.

I'm sure I will get accused of trolling or having a weird fascination with you but I'll take that chance.  You have stated facts. I am curious as to whether you are trying to make a point.  Is there one intended?