Say goodbye to Jim Palmer and Kevin Brown for 2021

SteveA

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Actually that’s a very good idea. However the flaws to which I am referring Are incredibly basic. And they are immediately obvious to anybody who watches a game. Don’t need a website to point them out.

The most important part of a baseball game is the next pitch. How often do the broadcast guys talk about something else during a pitch, and then they finish their thought and only then do they talk about the pitch that just was?

Ive mentioned frequently interviewing somebody during gameplay, where the interview itself is more important than the gameplay, which is ridiculous.
The people aren’t watching a baseball game to hear an interview, they are watching a baseball game to watch a baseball game, and talking over the gameplay, instead of focusing on the game, is the best way to show the public that the game does not matter, is, in fact, so boring that only an irrelevant interview makes tuning in worthwhile. That’s just basic common sense and doesn’t require a website.

Yeah, but if everyone thought those interviews were so bad they wouldn't be so popular.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Actually that’s a very good idea. However the flaws to which I am referring Are incredibly basic. And they are immediately obvious to anybody who watches a game. Don’t need a website to point them out.

I'd suggest your own YouTube channel. Your points will come through so much more clearly in a video rather than a website. 

Remember, common sense isn't that common. Don't minimize what you could contribute to society.

5 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

I'd suggest your own YouTube channel. Your points will come through so much more clearly in a video rather than a website. 

Remember, common sense isn't that common. Don't minimize what you could contribute to society.

I'm thinking Podcast over a youtube channel...just a guess that would be the superior medium.

Just now, 7Mo said:

Very good idea. And it could be done on a budget yet still maximize content. 

For content all he needs is stuff like "However the flaws to which I am referring Are incredibly basic."  That's gold Jerry, gold.  He just has to make sure to verbally capitalize "Are".  I can hear in my head how it is supposed to sound.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

For content all he needs is stuff like "However the flaws to which I am referring Are incredibly basic."  That's gold Jerry, gold.  He just has to make sure to verbally capitalize "Are".  I can hear in my head how it is supposed to sound.

Subtitles.

As Philip is explaining on video, subtitles provide emphasis at key points.

50 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

did a little radio announcing in school, and while football is the hardest sport because of the fast movement of the ball and the spotlight among players, especially those on the unfamiliar team, baseball is really challenging, too. Much more than other sports, there is lots of down time, requiring announcers to decide what to talk about and how much of their baseball and non-baseball selves to reveal. 

I did some sports radio announcing in college as well.   Basketball is the easiest.   Baseball is especially hard at that level because you don’t have reams of trivia and old stories to fill the dead time.   The game I announced was really lopsided, and when we fell behind 18-3 I said, “well, four grand slams and we’re right back in this one!”

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, but if everyone thought those interviews were so bad they wouldn't be so popular.

If the interviews are popular, that means the game is not, because we are ignoring the game while listening to the interview( or listening to whatever inane chatter is going on during the pitch.)If, on the other hand, the interviews do not interfere with the game, then by definition the radio guys are unnecessary, Because we are ignoring them while watching the game.

I doubt the guys in charge are bothering to do any meaningful evaluation of the broadcasts because there are so many problems noticeable to even the most casual viewer. 

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

If the interviews are popular, that means the game is not, because we are ignoring the game while listening to the interview( or listening to whatever inane chatter is going on during the pitch.)If, on the other hand, the interviews do not interfere with the game, then by definition the radio guys are unnecessary, Because we are ignoring them while watching the game.

I doubt the guys in charge are bothering to do any meaningful evaluation of the broadcasts because there are so many problems noticeable to even the most casual viewer. 

That's some interesting logic you've got going on there.

1 hour ago, 7Mo said:

If you don’t think that what I am mentioning is a problem, that’s fine. However, I would be surprised if you cannot see why others would think that it is.

Remember, the most important thing in baseball is the next pitch. That is what we are focusing on, because it is the only thing in the entire event that hasn’t happened yet. We don’t know what is going to happen, and therefore that is what we should focus on. Yes there is dead time between pitches that must be filled up, But it must be filled up in a way that doesn’t interfere with the next pitch, and that is a basic rule that is constantly ignored. Telling your crew not to talk over gameplay is such a basic instruction That it shouldn’t be necessary to state it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's some interesting logic you've got going on there.

Are you saying that you would rather focus on an interview than the next pitch? Are you suggesting that watching the interview after the game or before the game is no different than watching the interview during the game?

oookkk, your choice.

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

Are you saying that you would rather focus on an interview than the next pitch? Are you suggesting that watching the interview after the game or before the game is no different than watching the interview during the game?

oookkk, your choice.

I'm saying that my enjoyment of a baseball game isn't affected by an in-broadcast interview with someone who's visiting the booth.  Quite frankly I find it odd that you're the only one trumpeting this perceived blight on the broadcasting landscape as if you're speaking for sports fans everywhere.  Had you been paying attention to the NFL, you'd know that Peyton and Eli Manning are doing a simulcast to Monday Night Football on ESPN2 where they're practically discussing everything else but the actual football game and having interviews left and right.

I don't always need Kevin Brown to tell me that the fastball missed the plate by a couple of inches.  I don't need Palmer to tell me that a batter was able to hold up his checked swing.  I can see that with my own eyes.  

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Philip said:

oookkk, your choice.

I gotta agree with Moose on this.  It's not like they do interviews during games often, and I remember being mystified when you were all over them for interviewing ex-O's on the day they were inducted into the O's HOF.  That was exactly when they should have interviewed them.  I expect that most O's fans - like me - appreciated those interviews.  The tv interviews were a lot of fun to watch/listen to.    

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Philip said:

oookkk, your choice.

Let’s distinguish a bit between TV and radio.  With TV, you can see what’s happening.   Conducting an interview doesn’t interfere with my ability to see what’s happening.   And I would much rather hear what Buck Britton has to say about the Bowie Baysox making the playoffs and his comments on the players on that team, then have the announcers describe what I can readily see what is happening on the field.  And that’s especially true in a season like this, where we are not competitive and very little is riding on the outcome of the game.  

Radio is a little different.   There I am relying on the announcer to tell me what’s happening in the game.   So I still like hearing in-game interviews, but the announcer needs to describe the action, especially if the situation starts getting interesting.   And again, the situation with the team matters.   I wouldn’t necessarily want to hear an interview in the late innings of close game in a playoff race.   I’m fine hearing them just about any time when the team is 45 games out of first place.  

• Upvote 1