Expert trolling by the Orioles' social media team

Babkins

Frank Howard while a right hand batter, was pretty strong and known for hitting long distance shots, getting one out of Tiger stadium is no easy feat, he also had a shot in Yankee stadium that hit the façade.

But, as strong as he was, he never had the distance that Mantle and Ruth did.

The balls must have been juiced in that ERA. :) :) :) :)

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Frank Howard while a right hand batter, was pretty strong and known for hitting long distance shots, getting one out of Tiger stadium is no easy feat, he also had a shot in Yankee stadium that hit the façade.

But, as strong as he was, he never had the distance that Mantle and Ruth did.

The balls must have been juiced in that ERA. :) :) :) :)

The stopped counting the distance on Ruth's shots when the ball stopped rolling.

On 10/1/2021 at 5:55 PM, Frobby said:

It’s 439 feet at it’s closest point.   The wall is 25 feet high.   There was a time in my life (senior in high school, any time in college) where I could have told you what the “true distance” wouid be of a ball that hit the Warehouse at the base, i.e. how much further it would travel if the Warehouse weren’t there and the ground was level with the playing field.   It would depend on the launch angle of the ball, though.   I’m sure @DrungoHazewoodcould calculate it.   

If you play around with Alan Nathan's trajectory calculator (and can figure out how to do that intelligently) I think you'll see that to hit the warehouse you'd have to have an exit velocity of 125+ mph at 30 degrees launch angle with normalish atmospheric conditions (70 degrees, 50% humidity, no wind).  Even if you make it hot and humid with a 15mph wind blowing out you'd still need a 120+ mph exit velocity.

I think Giancarlo Stanton had one ball with a 120+ mph exit velocity this year.  That was the only one in MLB.  So, basically, you need ideal conditions and about as hard hit a ball as ever happens at just the right angle right down the RF line to hit the warehouse.  Or the All Star Game super bounce balls.

• Upvote 2

On 10/4/2021 at 11:50 AM, Can_of_corn said:

The stopped counting the distance on Ruth's shots when the ball stopped rolling.

There are various books and other sources that seem fairly well documented showing ridiculously long home run distances from 75 or 100 years ago.  Ruth supposedly hit any number of 500+ ft homers.  Clearly if any of that is to be believed the balls (or some of them due to poor quality control) were far livelier than today.  It's very clear that many of today's sluggers are every bit as strong and probably quite a bit stronger than the players of 50, 100+ years ago, with much better data on how to hit the ball a long way, off of pitchers mostly throwing much harder.

And, yes, they often measured after the ball stopped rolling.  Like Mantle's shot in DC.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There are various books and other sources that seem fairly well documented showing ridiculously long home run distances from 75 or 100 years ago.  Ruth supposedly hit any number of 500+ ft homers.  Clearly if any of that is to be believed the balls (or some of them due to poor quality control) were far livelier than today.  It's very clear that many of today's sluggers are every bit as strong and probably quite a bit stronger than the players of 50, 100+ years ago, with much better data on how to hit the ball a long way, off of pitchers mostly throwing much harder.

And, yes, they often measured after the ball stopped rolling.  Like Mantle's shot in DC.

I’ve often wondered if the weight of the bat makes a difference.   A heavier bat is more difficult to whip around, but if it does hit the baseball in the sweet spot, perhaps has more impact?   Today’s bats are very light compared to the old days.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve often wondered if the weight of the bat makes a difference.   A heavier bat is more difficult to whip around, but if it does hit the baseball in the sweet spot, perhaps has more impact?   Today’s bats are very light compared to the old days.  

One time someone had Roger Maris (and maybe Mantle?) take batting practice with a variety of weights of bat.  There was very little difference in how far the balls were hit.  It seems that the tradeoff between bat velocity/acceleration and bat mass just about evens out in the f=ma calculation.