2022 MLB Draft Discussion (Use this thread to discuss all picks, not Orioles picks)

13 minutes ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Lee would be a solid choice.  3 years of more data, 1100 obs, coach on the field playing a premium position.

My 3rd choice after Jones and Holliday but I agree he has the highest floor and should be a solid player. 

I think some see college and assume the ceiling is low.  I don't think it's that low.  I think he's in the mix.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Of all the names you mentioned, Lesko is easily the worst pick they could make at 1:1. He would actually be worse than Berry.

I don’t obviously feel that way lol but most rankings would agree with you. To me, when you can get elite starting pitching, you go for it. Lesko looks legit, albeit huge risk. 

39 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I don’t obviously feel that way lol but most rankings would agree with you. To me, when you can get elite starting pitching, you go for it. Lesko looks legit, albeit huge risk. 

Lesko May be there with the 33rd pick.  You grab him then.  You don’t even consider him with the first pick.

• Upvote 1

I believe that Jones, Green and Johnson are the best options. I am leaning towards the Os picking Green and getting a slight discount but Johnson has been my pick since last year. I could also see if the Os liked Jones a lot them telling him if he wants to go 1:1 he needs to take $7mm and be happy. Jones I think has the least amount of time to get to the majors and Mullins is traded. 

I’m leading Holliday at this point if he takes underslot. All things considered… Elias can stay the ship with bats and ensure that we’re going to have a loaded system to backfill behind the promotions that we make to the MLB to around OD 2023. He has a chance to take that 7 year window and push it to 10 with this draft. 

I wouldn’t be mad if we take Jones, but I think he will cost us a player because of his salary demands. So Holliday wins that tie. 

So it’s really Jones or Holliday +. I’ll take Holliday +. 

• Upvote 1

Every year since Elias arrived, I felt myself wanting to be upset about each 1st round pick.

Obviously this is an Orioles message board, so this is where hands are wrung, pearls are clutched, and hands are thrown into the air in frustration due to someone who has actually built a pretty damn admirable system picking a teenager who a bunch of talking heads wouldn't have picked. 

I'm good with whomever he takes. I've learned that maybe, just maybe, this guy knows more about this sht than I do 😜

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, sevastras said:

I believe that Jones, Green and Johnson are the best options. I am leaning towards the Os picking Green and getting a slight discount but Johnson has been my pick since last year. I could also see if the Os liked Jones a lot them telling him if he wants to go 1:1 he needs to take $7mm and be happy. Jones I think has the least amount of time to get to the majors and Mullins is traded. 

Surprised Green is not getting a little more love. I know about the swing and miss, but ALL the tools are there. imo.... So for me, either either Jones or Green.

1 hour ago, joe42 said:

Surprised Green is not getting a little more love. I know about the swing and miss, but ALL the tools are there. imo.... So for me, either either Jones or Green.

I think Green is seen as having the most bust potential of the top guys.  Also, there aren't too many centerfielders built like him so the thought is that he'll move to RF before too long.     Having said all of that, he probably has the best power potential in the draft and he's an impressive athlete with speed, a great arm, and power.   It's been said the IMG faces better competition than most high schools so perhaps the swing and miss should be calibrated towards that as well.   I guess Jones is preferred because he gives you most, if not everything Green does, although he may have to grow in to the power that Green already possesses.

• Upvote 1

Green has the biggest ceiling and loudest tools no doubt, but he also has the biggest flaw amongst the top 3 and half those loud tools don't matter if you can't put the ball in play. I've been reading that his stock is sliding a bit and Collier is unlikely to make it out of the top 4 now. I see basically zero chance Lesko or Rocker slide out of the top 25, and most likely top 20, unless they've got a pre draft deal worked out and their agent is steering them to a specific team. Neto is a name I can definitely see going in the top 7 for teams looking to save. He's a guy that all the driveline types absolutely adore.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I think Green is seen as having the most bust potential of the top guys.  Also, there aren't too many centerfielders built like him so the thought is that he'll move to RF before too long.     Having said all of that, he probably has the best power potential in the draft and he's an impressive athlete with speed, a great arm, and power.   It's been said the IMG faces better competition than most high schools so perhaps the swing and miss should be calibrated towards that as well.   I guess Jones is preferred because he gives you most, if not everything Green does, although he may have to grow in to the power that Green already possesses.

It's interesting, because I always hear about how IMG Academy is pumping out athletes who are ready to turn pro, but a look at those drafted from IMG isn't very inspiring:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?key_school=9d754fec&exact=1&query_type=key_school

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

It's interesting, because I always hear about how IMG Academy is pumping out athletes who are ready to turn pro, but a look at those drafted from IMG isn't very inspiring:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?key_school=9d754fec&exact=1&query_type=key_school

I don't think there's even one success story on there.  Scarey.  Guilt by association.   I'd almost be scared to send my kid there after seeing that list.  Bad luck.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

I don't think there's even one success story on there.  Scarey.  Guilt by association.   I'd almost be scared to send my kid there after seeing that list.  Bad luck.

Yea, it'd be one thing if it was a school that only had say 3-4 players ever drafted and they all sucked, but that's a long list of no success...

• Upvote 1