2022 MLB Draft Discussion (Use this thread to discuss all picks, not Orioles picks)

On 6/21/2022 at 12:31 AM, Brooks The Great said:

We should just be taking the best overall player, and we can't really be looking at a hole at SS that may or may not exist in 2 or 3 years. Henderson may turn out to be a good SS for a few years, or maybe Joey Ortiz's bat develops so that he's our SS. Or maybe we sign a SS in free agency.

Maybe Jackson Holliday turns out to be the best overall player in Elias' eyes. He'd fit the bill positionally. But I don't want to pass on Collier if he's the best overall hitter/player just because he doesn't play SS.

You know how I feel about bpa:) Preaching to the choir. 

49 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I mean if you want pure upside, that's Green

Maybe. Depends on who you read.  Green is a 40 homer CF with great speed but maybe a .260 hitter.

Jones is a 30/30 plus plus CF who might also hit .300.

You gotta love these baseball  scouts and writers!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I don’t understand the “Jones or Bust” crowd here, as if he’s a guaranteed sure thing perennial All Star going forward. Chances are good that he’ll be a productive major league player, but it’s also likely that others in this draft class will have better careers than he will. I take in what the pundits say with interest, but I also believe that Elias and Sig Mejdal and their team of scouts are better at this than Kieth Law etc. If a columnist picks Jones as the best prospect, and he never makes an impact, few if any will remember that five years down the road. But if Elias goes with Jones 1-1 and he turns into Shawn Abner it’ll be hung around his neck for the rest of his career. Having skin in the game + a great team of scouts and analysts should give Elias a huge leg up on anybody throwing opinions at a website twice a week. 

I like Collier a lot, but if Elias chooses Jones or Holliday or Lee or Johnson I’ll still be happy because I know he has more information about these kids than I do. 

If Elias doesn't take Jones and he turns into the next Mike Trout, the fanbase will never forget that. 

3 minutes ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

If Elias doesn't take Jones and he turns into the next Mike Trout, the fanbase will never forget that. 

What if he takes Jones, and Green becomes the next Trout? Trout wasn’t even a top 20 pick. Historically the best player in the draft has rarely been the top pick. 

14 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I don’t understand the “Jones or Bust” crowd here, as if he’s a guaranteed sure thing perennial All Star going forward. Chances are good that he’ll be a productive major league player, but it’s also likely that others in this draft class will have better careers than he will. I take in what the pundits say with interest, but I also believe that Elias and Sig Mejdal and their team of scouts are better at this than Kieth Law etc. If a columnist picks Jones as the best prospect, and he never makes an impact, few if any will remember that five years down the road. But if Elias goes with Jones 1-1 and he turns into Shawn Abner it’ll be hung around his neck for the rest of his career. Having skin in the game + a great team of scouts and analysts should give Elias a huge leg up on anybody throwing opinions at a website twice a week. 

I like Collier a lot, but if Elias chooses Jones or Holliday or Lee or Johnson I’ll still be happy because I know he has more information about these kids than I do. 

Sometimes guys don’t pan out, for various reasons.

But if Elias takes Jones and Jones flames out, anyone bashing Elias is a moron.  

Now, if there are things about Jones that we don’t know…say he has an injury that could cause long term concerns or something like that and Elias takes him anyway and that issue comes to fruition than Elias deserves the blame.

But outside of that, it’s idiotic to bash Elias for taking the consensus best player.

18 minutes ago, seak05 said:

What if he takes Jones, and Green becomes the next Trout? Trout wasn’t even a top 20 pick. Historically the best player in the draft has rarely been the top pick. 

Historically the top pick in the draft isn't the best player simply because the math is not in favor of it, theres 600+ other players selected after pick 1. If there is a consensus among all of the media scouts that Jones is the best player, that feeds into the fans desire for Jones. If Green is the best player then so be it, Jones was the generational talent that received all the hype. Do Nats fans gets upset that they took Strasburg and Trout ended up being the best player? No, because Strasburg was the generational talent and the Nats took the consensus best player. 

19 hours ago, seak05 said:

I mean if you want pure upside, that's Green

He’s got the biggest upside they say but most question marks. I’d be shocked as hell if Elias picks him. Like I said, I’d be happy with Jones, Holiday, Green, Parada or Lee but really think it should be Jones. I would not complain about Holiday. It is just aggravating you have to calibrate your expectations for Elias’ “strategy”. Just arrogance to me. He likely thinks he is smarter than everyone else. 

34 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

He’s got the biggest upside they say but most question marks. I’d be shocked as hell if Elias picks him. Like I said, I’d be happy with Jones, Holiday, Green, Parada or Lee but really think it should be Jones. I would not complain about Holiday. It is just aggravating you have to calibrate your expectations for Elias’ “strategy”. Just arrogance to me. He likely thinks he is smarter than everyone else. 

I'm sure he thinks he's smarter than you and me.  Not sure about everyone else.   Some of you guys find him arrogant.   I don't see it but some of the guys accusing him of acting like he's the smartest guy in the room are guys who act like they are the smartest guy in the room.   Very ironic!